- 𝟒 -

D J S

"I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you..."
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men

"Umwell,wemetonthebus,hernameisLara,sheonlyknowsmyfirstname,andsheisn'tinanygroupyet'causeIhaven'tgoneonadatewithherannnndgoodnight." Corbyn says, immediately leaving us after.

I'm pretty sure I understood about a tenth of that. I mean...Was that even English?

I knew Corbyn could spit some bars, but none of them have been as fast as that. I bet Corbyn didn't even know what he was saying. Nothing we can do now, he's probably asleep by now...or pretending to be.

"Did he say her name is Kara?" Zach asks, he has a confused look on his face. "Did he say they met on a bus?" Jonah asks, also unsure of what he heard. I don't think any of us understood what he said, lucky for us, that won't last too long. I get up on my way to the kitchen to get a drink when I see that Corbyn left something behind on the armchair. I lift up his suit jacket to see a copy of Of Mice and Men. Huh...that's weird, Corbyn hasn't read this since high school. I don't think any of us have read this since high school.

"What's that?" Jonah asks from the couch. I hold up the book to all of them. "Is that a book?" Jack asks, I hear Jonah sigh while shaking his head. "No Jack, it's a banana." I tell him while Zach dies of laughter in the seat next to him.

"What book is it?" Jonah asks, getting up from his seat to get a closer look. "Of Mice and Men? I haven't read this since high school."

"Same." I tell him as I hand the book to him. "What's Of Mice and Men?" Zach asks from his seat. "It's a pretty crazy story if I'm being honest." Jonah answers, flipping through the pages. "Where did Corbyn say he had his date?" he asks.

"Um, I'm pretty sure at a restaurant downtown." I tell him. "And they didn't go anywhere else after that?"

"I don't know." I say. It's not like Corbyn gave us a detailed story on his night. "It probably doesn't mean anything, maybe he just wanted something to read on his free time." Jonah says, putting the book down next to Corbyn's jacket. He's probably right. After Jonah, Corbyn's the biggest bookworm out of the 5 of us. He was probably near a bookstore or something and bought that for fun. We leave his stuff there, on our way back to our own rooms.

"You know, this is kind of exciting." Zach says with an excited smile before going into his room. "Yeah, I mean, when was the last time you saw Corbyn have that smile on his face when talking about a girl." Jack says after. We all pause for a minute, not because we don't know the answer, but because there's only one answer. "Christina." Jonah says, breaking the silence. "Yeah...Hopefully it works out for him, he deserves it." I say. They all nod their heads in agreement before we all say goodnight to each other and going into our own rooms.

Corbyn's only ever had one serious girlfriend in his life, and it was Christina. Nothing bad happened between them, in fact, the breakup was mutual. Although, I think the pain hit Corbyn a little harder than for her. They broke up over the phone. It was only our second week as a band and we were in our old house in the studio. It was Corbyn's turn to warm up using the new mic we got, but he just stood there, frozen. Jonah and Jack overheard the whole thing while me and Zach were still testing stuff out in the studio. I remember dropping everything to see the pain in my best friend's eyes. They agreed it would be best to breakup and focus on their own careers and futures first, and if they found each other in the end, then it's meant to be. 2 years later...they still haven't found each other. I guess that's what most high school couples do before going to college. Also the fact that she was in school in New York while he was here in Los Angeles, didn't make anything easier. As horrible as the breakup was, it made us closer as a band and even closer friends. I remember how we stopped working that day and decided to go to Santa Monica Pier to play some games and go surfing. I remember the sudden change in his mood when we just had fun, as if the breakup never happened. Although it took almost two years for him to get back into the groove of things, I'm just glad things are starting to look good for him. I just hope this mystery girl is everything he deserves, and more.

Now things have changed. So far, I can say things are better. Many things are different now. First off, our house. Our first two years as a band, we stayed in this big house for the 5 of us. Now, we live in a similar house, just a little bigger. What's different about this house is that management isn't paying off the bills for us anymore, but we are. So when Eben said he'd be glad to move in with us, it worked out really well. Plus, he's one of our closest friends in LA, and one of the very few genuine people in the industry. Things are looking up now for our personal lives too. We've been able to spend some more time away from work and just be normal people for a minute, away from the spotlight. Now that summer is approaching, I can just imagine the amount of things we'll be able to do these next 3 months...

. . .

(a/n) just wanted to clarify there was no hate intended towards corbina or christina. i stan corbina w all my heart and christina's my queen. just wanted to say that before anyone came at me (cuz there r ppl like that lmao) anyways enjoy reading 💙
- freebesson98