- 𝟐𝟓 -

L R C

"Too much of a good thing, it might kill ya"
Good Thing - Suriel Hess

"Drinks?" Mia asks as she reads off the last item on our list.

"Check." I tell her, closing the door of our now fully stocked fridge. In less than an hour, our friends will be coming to check out our new apartment. Our families came by yesterday to see the final reveal, even though our moms and Maggie helped us move in and decorate. This past month has been a roller-coaster. From signing off our lease to late night Target runs, it's been a lot - but in a good way. I really feel like another chapter of my life is beginning.

Apart from this new apartment, a million other things have happened this month. I've known Corbyn and the boys for a month now, and I couldn't have been more blessed with such great people to be friends with. It's still crazy to me that it's already been a month since I crossed paths with Corbyn on the bus that night. It's even crazier that Harvey will be turning 16 in a few days...Where did time go? I'm pretty sure Mia and Jordan are also celebrating their one month or something like that...Still not sure how to feel about those two, but hey, at least they're somewhat cute together.

We hear a knock at the door, and Mia runs over to answer it. She opens it to see Jordan and Maggie there with more drinks and chips. "Wow you guys are early for once." I tease as I take the chips from Maggie's hand to bring them to the kitchen.

"Yeah, maybe even too early...Nerds." Mia tells them jokingly. Jordan rolls his eyes at her as he walks in, taking a seat on the couch next to her. Even though they were both here yesterday, it's cool of them to come again - the more the merrier right?

Another knock comes from the door and this time I answer it. I open the door to find Corbyn and Daniel in front of me, both bearing some board games and more snacks. At this point, we have enough food to feed an army. I greet them both with a hug, starting with Corbyn who wraps his arms around me tightly, swaying me back and forth like he does with all his hugs. I then hug Daniel before leading them inside.

"This place is popping!" Corbyn says, popping the P. Thank goodness for his energy and enthusiasm; it was about time there was some life to this party. Daniel and Corbyn greet Mia and everyone else and then help themselves to some food. "I need to talk to you later." Corbyn tells me before grabbing his plate. I look at him, slightly scared. As if he could read my mind, his comforting smile puts me at ease as he says, "Don't worry it's a good thing."

Jonah and Eben come through the door, greeting everyone with hugs. Mia pulls Eben aside for something...I didn't know those two knew each other very well. Last time I've heard his name escape Mia's mouth was when she'd call him Hollywood Boy, but that was ages ago. Jack, Gab, and Zach are the last people to come. Jack and Gab walk in hand-in-hand, which most likely means that things went well between them.

After everyone looked around the apartment, we got to eating and board games. Daniel brought Uno and Monopoly, and if I'm being honest, I haven't played any of those games in a while. Zach and Daniel ended up being in jail the most during Monopoly which was unfortunate for them. Corbyn and Eben on the other hand had empires upon empires. I keep catching Mia glance at Eben, but I still don't know why she would. She's dating my brother...and Mia's not a cheater.

All of a sudden, I get a call from an unknown number. I excuse myself and walk into my bedroom, answering my phone. "Hello?"

"Hi is this Lara?" a woman's voice asks on the other line. "Um yes...Who is this?" I ask. I swear I've never seen this number before...

"This is Rebecca the editor in chief from Hollywire. We recently got a call from you last week regarding any job offerings-"

"Wait what?" Hollywire? Job offering? "I'm sorry I think you have the wrong person..."

"This is your number right?" she asks. I answer "yes", still confused at what's going on. Am I being pranked or something? "You're looking for a job with your background of a Journalism major from California State University. Lara Carpenter right?" Rebecca says on the line.

I don't understand...The only place I called for a job was LA Times. I used the number Paige gave me since she was the one who told me that it was LA Times' office across the street. There must be some misunderstanding here...

"Lara? You there?" Rebecca asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yes. Sorry..I'm just a little confused. I called thinking this was LA Times and-"

"Oh! I'm sorry, LA Times moved their location 3 years ago, you must've been misinformed." she tells me. I feel my heart drop to the floor as I hear her words. Misinformed might be an understatement...more like misinformed and got my hopes up.

"Yeah I guess I was..." I say, unsure how to react. At the end of the day, I do need a job, maybe this Hollywire thing could be temporary. "What are you offering?" I ask her.

"Well we're kind of understaffed at the moment so pretty much anything we need for the week. Interviewers, reporters, journalists, anyone who can do anything." Rebecca explains. Well that shouldn't be too hard then. It's not like this is gonna be a long term thing I'll be doing. I just need something to help pay the bills. The goal is still LA Times...I did not work my butt off for 4 years to write about the latest gossip about celebrities.

"Okay uh so...when can I start then?" I ask her.

"How about tomorrow? Stop by the office for lunch and we'll talk about upcoming assignments and stories. In fact, I'll email you right now one of the stories you'll be covering." she says in a delightful mood. She definitely did not waste any time putting me to work.

"Sounds...Good." I say before she hangs up on me. I immediately get a notification from her business email regarding my first task. She has sent me a link with a small paragraph explaining what I am to do for the week.

Corbyn Besson's New Girlfriend?: Click Link to View Instagram

My eyes widen at the story title, seeing that that is the topic I have to find out today. I for sure wasn't wrong about this being all gossip. I click the Instagram link to find the Snapchat story of me and Corbyn in the pool from Eben's party.

You have got to be kidding me...

This isn't happening to me. This has got to be a new low. Out of all the stories or interviews, they had to give me this one. The description Rebecca sent me states I should try to figure out who the girl is and if that's Corbyn's new girlfriend. Well that shouldn't be too hard considering that girl is me and no, I'm not his girlfriend. At least not right now, and at this rate, I don't think I will be. I'm sure my new boss would love a story saying her new worker is the girl in her top story...Yeah that just sounds fascinating.

I leave my phone in my room, going back to the party outside. I take my seat next to Corbyn on the couch to see that they finished playing Monopoly and he had won. I congratulate him, trying not to show my stress. Although, Corbyn could see it...He could see right through me.

"Hey everything alright?" he asks, "Did something happen?" he looks at me right in the eye as he talks to me, genuinely making sure I'm okay.

I nod my head, "Yeah, I'm good." I tell him. Right now is definitely not the time to bring up my new job, let alone what I have to do for my new job. It's embarrassing enough that I get paid to spill the latest tea on the internet's favorite celebrities, let's not mention some of them being my friends. "Hey what were you gonna tell me earlier? You said you had to talk to me about something." I tell him. He looks at me and his expression changes, but I can't exactly tell what it is. Nervous? Excited? He said it was a good thing. Nothing to be worried about right?

"Yeah I'll tell you later, I promise." he says with his adorable smile, comforting me yet again. I stop asking him about it and just enjoy the rest of the party with everyone else. I wonder what's so good he has to wait so long to tell me. If it's a good thing, it'll be worth the wait. That's what they all say anyways...

. . .