- 𝟏𝟓 -

L R C

"Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone
I'll be waiting, all that's left to do is run"
Love Story - Taylor Swift

"Lara do you mind getting the extra chairs?"

"Yeah sure Mom." I say as I head back inside to the garage. It's Saturday morning. Only a couple hours until Mom's favorite event of the year - her summer kickoff barbecue. I didn't think this could top Christmas, but I guess it does. According to her, everything summer related starts today. We open our pool, we plan vacations with friends today, barbecues, anything. If there's anything I'm excited for the summer...it's probably Corbyn. But no one needs to know that for now.

"Hey you need a hand?" I look to the doorway to see Maggie. Ever since I told her about Corbyn, she's been nosier than usual. If anything, I thought she'd be against it. But then again, she's got Chris and whatever is going on between them. "Yeah thanks." I say, taking her up on her offer. We bring the chairs out, setting them up where the tables are. 

"So Corbyn's coming?" 

"Yep, and the guys and his family." She looks at me, surprised but impressed. "Well look at Ms. Popular." she says teasingly, nudging my shoulder. 

"Whatever." I tell her as I walk back inside to the house. "What about Chris, is he coming?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. She looks away, trying to hide her blush. "He's got other plans today." she says quietly. When she lies her voice always gets quieter, dead give away if you ask me.

"Or you didn't invite him 'cause you didn't tell anyone else that you two are seeing each other again?" 

"No." she shoots me a look. Am I wrong though? "We're not seeing each other." she says, still avoiding eye contact.

"Okay sure. You guys just happened to go to Eben's party together after not seeing each other for 5 years. Just admit that you were in Canada with him last month." She turns around, putting her hands on the kitchen island. "There's nothing there anymore. Now can we just let it go?" 

I put my hands up defensively, "Fine fine. But don't expect me to tell you everything about me and Corbyn if you won't do the same for you and Chris." I tell her before leaving her alone in the kitchen. 

Sometimes I don't get me and Maggie's relationship. We're best friends, but we're also not. Maybe it's 'cause we're sisters and our whole lives we were each other's best friends, but it's not the same anymore. We can barely have a good conversation without ending it with an argument, and when we do talk, it's boring. I used to go to Maggie for everything, to talk about anything. Now it's Mia. Not saying Mia replaced Maggie, it's just different with her. Plus Maggie's always travelling and when she is home, she plays the big sister role instead of the best friend role. Whatever's going on between us, it should all blow over sooner or later. We can't keep secrets forever...

~ ~ ~

"They're here!!" we hear Harvey yell from the living room. Jordan and I watch Mom yell at Nate to start up the barbecue as she rushes everyone to the backyard to greet the guests. "Hey did Mia text you? She told me she's coming but she hasn't responded to my texts." I ask him as we walk out to the backyard. 

"No I didn't get anything, I'll text her right now." he says, taking out his phone from his pocket. "Okay thanks." I tell him as I walk out to see who are the first guests to arrive.