- 𝟑𝟐 -

C M B

"I should speak my mind"
8 Letters - Why Don't We

It's been a week since Lara left for Utah. I don't know if she's planning on staying there for the rest of the summer, but she hasn't texted me since she first checked into her room. I just really hope she's alright. I mean, I guess it wouldn't be too bad if she stayed there for the summer 'cause then that would mean things went well between her and her dad. Which is all good news. It would mean that she's happy, so I should be happy for her...Even if a part of me hopes she comes back soon. 

Back to the present, today's Harvey's birthday. I only remembered because Lara told me before she left. She also gave me the card she was going to give him just in case she wasn't back in time for his birthday. Other than that, I also got the kid a gift. It's nothing too special, but I know he'll like it. 

No one in Lara's family has really spoken to me ever since Lara left. They don't know where she is, so they must be worried sick about her. I've gotten about hundreds of texts and calls from Magnolia, Mia, and Jordan alone. Most of their messages had something to do with them thinking I know where Lara went - which is true, but they don't need to know that. 

As far as the rest of the week has gone, the guys and I have figured out tour dates for the next couple months. Our first show is August 23rd and it's in LA. After that, we're going across the country. Hopefully I'll be able to see Lara before I leave or else it'll be a long time before I see her again. 

I get to Lara's house seeing a bunch of cars already there. I assumed there'd be a party since Mrs. Carpenter's a great party planner, but I didn't think there'd be this many people here. I go into the backyard where the party leads to and see Magnolia spot me first. 

"Corbyn!" she walks over to me, leading me inside. "What are you doing here?" she asks me in a low voice. We walk into the kitchen where nobody else is. "Uh it's Harvey's birthday isn't it?" 

"Yeah but...Don't take this the wrong way, but you're not exactly the most popular guy here." she tells me. I raise an eyebrow, giving her a look. "What do you mean?" 

"Oh come on Corbyn," she scoffs, "I know you know where Lara is. We all know you do." she says, glaring at me. So this is how it's gonna be now? "Sorry Corbyn but I wouldn't wanna be found by my mom right now if I were you." 

I look at her, eyes widened as my jaw slight drops. So her mom hates me now? Great. "Don't give me that look alright? She hasn't seen her daughter in 7 days and the only person who does know isn't her." Magnolia tells me. 

"Well maybe there's a reason she only told me." I say without thinking. Magnolia looks at me with a smirk. Did I really just admit that I know where she is? Good one Corbyn. Real smart. Suddenly we hear someone walk in from outside as the sliding door opens. 

"Hey Maggie have you seen the-" We see Mrs. Carpenter walk into the kitchen, stopping her sentence as soon as she sees me. "Corbyn. I must say, this is a surprise." she says with a cold stare. 

"It's good to see you too Mrs. Carpenter...I heard it was Harvey's birthday today but I have a meeting tonight so-"

"So it means you won't stay for too long." she interrupts me. "Well that's a shame, but if you do have to go then I can give Harvey's gift for you." she says. Yep, she really does hate me.

"It's okay, I can give it to him myself." I tell her, making my way to the back door. I walk past her, but her voice forces me to stop walking. "If you really cared about Lara you would let her own mother handle this." she snaps. I turn around back to her direction, surprised. Who knew Lauren Carpenter had it in her to be so...cold.

"With all due respect, I believe everything happens for a reason. There's a reason why Lara didn't tell you where she was going and there's a reason why she told me." I say, trying to keep my cool. The last thing I'd want is to get in an argument with an adult. Especially not the mom of the girl I care about most in this world. 

"Well clearly she's incapable of making the right decisions for herself." she says, turning around and facing me. I look at her, baffled. "Lara's a grown woman, I think she's fully capable of making her own decisions."  

Mrs. Carpenter looks down, laughing to herself, "No no no, Lara is most definitely not acting like a grown woman right now. Grown women don't run away from their problems and think everything will go away." 

"See that's where you're wrong." I feel my body go warm and my voice go louder, "Lara, she's not running away from her problems. In fact, she's running to the problem you created because you ran away from it 16 years ago-"

SLAP

That's when she slapped me. It wasn't hard or painful or anything like that. I think it hurt from shock. I could tell she was shocked at herself too, as she begins to apologize immediately. Magnolia yelled at her as soon as she did it, telling her enough is enough. I think about what I said and realize that I deserved to be slap. Sheesh, if it were my mom I definitely would've gotten a slap in the face. 

"That was my bad, I was out of line. It's just, I made a promise to Lara okay? I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." I say, my voice getting quieter and quieter. She sighs as she takes a seat by the kitchen island. 

"No I'm sorry it's just...I'm her mom okay? It's my job to be worried about her and be crazy like this and I don't know, I guess the thought of her going to you instead of me scared me." she says. Magnolia walks over to me, handing me an ice pack for my face. Does it really look that bad? 

"Look you have the right to be scared and worried and act a little crazy now and then, trust me my mom does sometimes too. But I never wanna be in the way of the relationship Lara has with her mom or anyone else in her family." I tell her comfortingly. 

She looks at me, her mind at peace. "You really care about her don't ya?" she says softly. I feel my face get warm as I think about her. 

Of course I care about her. How can I not care about someone I don't love?

"I'm sorry Corbyn, I don't know what has gotten into me." she says while getting up from her seat. "It's okay, no hard feelings Mrs. Carpenter." I tell her reassuringly. I'm the kind to forgive pretty easily, especially if I know where they're coming from. 

"Lauren." she says with a smile, correcting me again. "Why don't you stay? We got a ton of food and I'm sure Harvey would love to see you." she suggests. I get up and head for the back door.

"No it's okay, I'll just give him his present then I'll be on my way." I tell her. She frowns, feeling bad for what she did, but she doesn't stop me. I walk out and immediately find Harvey, giving him his gift from me and Lara's card. I feel Jordan stare at me as I make my way out. I realize he still doesn't like me after not saying anything about Lara. Now I'm believing that leaving early was the right decision to make after all...

. . .

(a/n) sorry for the short chapter lmao
also sorry that my updates are taking a little longer than usual - 
i'm working on some other stuff ;)
OK PEACE OUT

ps. mrs. carpenter do be wildin' doe