- 𝟑𝟑 -

L R C

"But you were the first man that really loved me"
First Man - Camila Cabello

Harvey's birthday
Mount Grant General Hospital - Nevada

"What's the last thing you remember?" the doctor asks me. I look around my surroundings to see white walls and white tile. I'm dressed in a hospital robe and there's a machine right next to me. I look at the doctor sitting in the chair next to me, a clipboard in her hand. "Lara? Lara, can you hear me?" 

I look at her, making eye contact. My head is pounding and I feel extremely dizzy right now. What happened to me? "W-Where am I?" I ask her. 

"You're in Mount Grant General Hospital. I'm Dr. Werner, you've been here all night Lara, don't you remember coming here?" I look at her, confused. She begins to write some stuff down on her clipboard, I'm assuming it's nothing good. 

"What happened? What am I doing here..." I look around seeing it's raining outside. I thought I'd be in LA by now...

"You were brought in last night around midnight due to a car crash. Your phone was dead so we charged it to find your emergency contacts. Other than that, we couldn't find anything containing identification. We did see you bought a new car a...used Honda civic." 

"What?? I don't own a Honda..." She flips through the clipboard, skimming through all the papers with my information on it. Why don't I remember anything?

"You just recently bought it, according to the ownership papers in your car, you bought it 2 days ago in a dealership in Salt Lake City." she tells me. I look at her, speechless. "I'm gonna let you rest for a while, luckily there aren't any major injuries. We found you unconscious, but thankfully it's nothing too serious. We suggest you don't drive for a while, as you will need your rest. We called your dad last night, he's coming to pick you up." 

My eyes light up when she says her last sentence. I thought after I last saw him, he wouldn't want to see me again. He made it pretty clear there wasn't a place for me in his life, but I guess I could say the same for him too. But none of that matters now, he's coming to get me and make sure I'm okay.

A couple hours pass, but I can't sleep. A couple nurses came to check up on me, telling me I should sleep, but I couldn't. I tried thinking about how I crashed in the first place and why I even bought a Honda civic. I look at the clock across the room - 3:45 PM. I've only been awake for a couple hours, but it already feels like years.

A nurse comes in to give me some food, placing it on the table next to me. They haven't given me my phone back or any of my stuff yet. They're probably waiting for my dad to claim it all for me. "Um what's the date today?" 

"It's July 9th." she says, leaving the room after. Suddenly, as if a light bulb turned on, I remember. Harvey's birthday is today. I bought the Honda, trading my Silverado for it so I could give him a car for his birthday. So now I know how I got the car...but how did I crash?

There's a knock at the door and I look up to see Dr. Werner standing there. "Lara, your dad is here to bring you home." she says. I nod my head, waiting to see my dad walk in. As soon as Dr. Werner walks out, I see someone walk in.

Nate.

Well this is definitely a surprise.

"Oh thank goodness you're okay." he says, walking over to my bed. I look at him, speechless. 

"Nate I-" I sit up, straightening my position. "I didn't expect you to come." I tell him. 

"Well they called the house late last night and requested for your mom, but she was asleep and I didn't think you'd want to see her anyway so...here I am." he tells me. He has my backpack full of my clothes and places it on my bed. I can't even bring myself to make eye contact with him. I was a fool for thinking my actual dad would come to my rescue. He didn't come back for me all these years and when I came to him for a change, he sent me back to where I came from.

"But today's your son's birthday..." I say, looking down at my bed. He sits on the arm chair in the corner of the room across from me. "Yeah I know, but Harvey will have many more birthday's to come. You on the other hand, they called me when you were unconscious Lar...How could I not come?" 

I look at him, shocked. I can't believe I was unconscious. One of the nurses told me my car is fine, no serious damage or anything like that. So how bad was the crash then for me to be unconscious? "Did Dr. Werner tell you anything?"

"She thinks your accident was caused by fatigue. Your car crashed into some bushes near the freeway, it could've been worst. When the ambulance found you, you were already unconscious and eventually asleep." he tells me. I think about what Corbyn told me before I left. 

"Yeah but driving for 10 hours isn't exactly good for you either. Just promise me that if you get tired you stop somewhere and rest. I'd just like you to come back in one piece."

Well I didn't exactly follow directions on the first half, but my body is still very much intact so I think I'll be okay. But unconscious? I still can't believe that. "Wow..." is all I manage to say after hearing all that. 

"How much sleep did you get before driving back Lar?" he asks me. I try to remember, but I can't. "I don't know...I'm sorry-"

"No no no, don't be. I'm just glad you're okay." he says with a comforting smile. A warm smile appears on my face as I see him sitting there. I'll admit, it's nice having some company around. "So does Mom know?" 

"What? Nooo no no. She doesn't know about any of this." he says reassuringly. Well that's a weight lifted off my shoulders. "I told her if I'm not back, we'll celebrate Harvey's birthday with just the family." 

I never realized how good Nate really is. Not just as a person, but as a friend and father. The guy put me first instead of his actual son...How can I stay mad at him after that? I mean, just because I'm mad at my mom doesn't mean I should be mad at him too right? After all, he's the one who gives a damn about me right now. In fact, 16 years he's given a damn about me. In the end, I'm kinda glad he's my dad or at least the fact I have someone like him in my life. Nate might've not been there to hold me when I was born or see my first steps. But he's here for me now and that's all that matters.

I nod my head as I try to get up, but my body feels 10 times heavier. Nate rushes over to me, helping me up. I gain some strength to change into my regular clothes by myself while he waits for me in the waiting room. 

I check out of the hospital and follow Nate into his car. He lets me sit in the back passenger seats so I can have as much room to sleep on the drive back. He called someone to bring the car back to LA sometime this week for Harvey's birthday. Him and Dr. Werner agreed it'd be best if I didn't drive for the next 2 weeks and just rest myself. Lucky for me, I wasn't planning on going anywhere anytime soon. This summer was eventful enough. 

Nate hands me my backpack before driving out of the hospital parking lot. I find my phone and find my favorite notification on my lockscreen.

15 Messages from Corbyn 🦆

Most Recent: i hope you're okay. please text me as soon as you can

Oldest: hey nate just called me and told me what happened. are you ok? what happened? call me when you see this.

I smile at the sight of his name on my phone 15 times. I go to his contact name and call his number, hearing the phone ring only once before he picks up.

"Hey weirdo." I say with that same warm smile on my face and same fuzzy feeling inside. 

"Oh thank God...You scared me. I freaking missed you ya big meanie." I hear his adorable voice say. The rest of the drive, I lean my head against the car door, phone under my ear as I talk to one of my favorite people in this world.

. . .

(a/n)
AHHH CUTE CHAPTER COMING NEXT
ok that's all buh byeee