CHAPTER NINE

Knocking at the front door to the overly-sized house, I stood and waited for some time. I looked around, seeing his fire engine red Toyota Supra and his crystal white Dodge Ram 1500 pickup truck parked on the pebbled driveway. It was crazy to me how much money Brian's family had, and yet here he was chasing after a working-class guy like me.

Eventually, Brian answered. Pulling the front door open, his hand immediately grabbed hold of my sleeve and tugged me inside, shutting the door behind me with a slam. The loud noise made me flinch as Brian simply smirked.

"Sorry about that," He apologised. "I didn't want anybody to see us."

"I'm still an embarrassment to you, huh?" I was joking as I said it, but I could tell by the crimson red that smothered his cheeks that Brian wasn't ready for anyone else to know. And I was okay with that, because neither was I really.

"I've missed you," Brian pouted, enclosing me in his arms and bringing me tighter into his chest.

His slight advantage in height forced my head under his chin as his hands gently ran up and down my back. "Can I get you anything?"

"I'm good for now, thanks." I smiled after breaking away.

"So..." Brian stalled. "What do you want to do?"

"You're the one who invited me here, you tell me." I chuckled in response.

Brian gestured to where I could leave my shoes and jacket before deciding to take me on a grand tour of his home; seeing as it was a little too crowded to do so on the night of the party. He took me all over and let me tell you, this place was huge. I don't think I quite put it into perspective last time how big this house was.

His final stop was his bedroom. He pushed open the door and my eyes fell onto the one place that had been the beginning of what him and I had become to this very day...companions.

Now, I won't lie to you. I was starting to develop feelings for Brian because I got to see the different side of him that not many others got to. He was sweet and gentle; the complete opposite to the Brian everyone knew at school. I'm not saying that I was ready to take things to the next level with him, but I wanted to test the waters and see where his priorities lied when it came to him and I.

"Brian?" I gained his attention as we both took a seat on the end of his bed.

"Hm?" He hummed, turning to look at me.

"What...what are we...exactly?" I could see the slight flinch in his reaction as he cleared his throat and stammered out a reply.

"Companions, Sal." Brian answered. "That was the agreement, right?"

"Right." I nodded. "But,"

"But? Woah, woah, woah...there's no buts." He quavered.

"Brian, just hear me out." I sighed. "Please?"

"Fine." He caved, frowning hard.

"Lately I've just been kind of feeling like we could be so much more than that." I started to explain. "I care about you a lot and you make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

Brian's eyes were locked onto mine, and I could see the sincerity held behind his stare. He was listening to every word that I threw at him and a part of me couldn't help but feel that he felt the same. The only difference being that Brian was too scared to admit that he had feelings for a boy. A seemingly poor boy compared to him.

"What are you trying to say, Sal?" He questioned as I breathed out a despondent sigh.

"Brian..." I stalled. "I want to be your boyfriend."