CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Returning back to his apartment later that afternoon, I tried my best to sneak in through the front door without Brian noticing me. I carried a bouquet of flowers in my arms and held a bag of food for dinner in my hand as I twisted open the handle and tiptoed my way inside.

Peering round the corner, I could see that Brian had moved onto building the TV stand; he had his stereo playing his favourite Elvis album and I thought that now was my chance. I was almost into the safety of his bedroom, when the hinges of the door creaked loudly.

"Sal?" I heard Brian call out through the apartment. "Is that you?"

"Yeah, Babe." I replied, throwing the flowers onto his bed. "I just went out to get us some things for dinner tonight."

I walked back out into the living area with my handful of groceries. Looking up at me and pausing his music, Brian seemed suspicious. He cocked a questioning brow and studied me intently.

"I thought that we were eating out tonight?" He asked curiously.

"Change of plan." I smiled, stepping into the kitchen to put the food away as Brian followed after me. "I wanted us to have a night in together."

"We could have just ordered takeout." Brian wondered. "Why the sudden change?"

"No reason," I shrugged, intriguing Brian all the more.

"Are you planning something?" He accused.

"No, Brian." I reassured, placing my hands to his waist and pressing a kiss to his lips. "Stop being nosy and carry on with whatever you were working on."

"Okay." He agreed, though his tone sounded suspicious.

Once Brian had left me to it, I breathed a sigh of relief and made my way back into the bedroom. I took a handful of the flowers and set them in a vase on the window. Using the rest of the bouquet, I ripped off the petals and spread them along the comforter, before leaving a trail from the end of the bed to the door. I lit a few scented candles and placed them around the room to add to the aroma of it all.

I headed back into the kitchen and began on my attempt at cooking us both a romantic dinner for two, even if this was my first time, I was hoping that Brian would appreciate the effort that I was putting into this.

By the time that dinner was ready, Brian had finished his last job for the day and had gone into the bathroom to shower. I set up the coffee table with placemats and a candle in the middle. I laid out a cushion each for us to sit on, seeing as there was no dining table or chairs that had been built yet.

He returned ten minutes later, using his towel to dry at his hair and unsurprisingly had forgotten to put on any underwear. I rolled my eyes at my boyfriend as a crimson red smothered his cheeks.

"Brian," I groaned whimsically.

"Hey," He defended. "My place, my rules, and if I don't want to wear any underwear, I'm not going to."

Brian then peered over my shoulder to see what I had set up for the two of us. "Oh...I didn't realise it was going to be that kind of night."

"It's okay," I chuckled.

"By what you were saying earlier, I thought it was going to be...you know...a sex-filled kind of night." He blushed.

"Well, I wanted to surprise you." I explained, reaching for his hands and weaving our fingers together. "I don't care what you have on, if anything at all, I just want to spend tonight with you."

"You're too good for me, you know." Brian smiled.

"Don't say that." I frowned slightly. "You're everything I deserve and more."