Chapter 1 Blue Skies

It had to be the sunniest day of the year I thought to myself as I crossed the threshold of Anna Klerk High. My mom would of loved it. She died two months ago and I'm still getting used to coming home and no afternoon snack being on the table or music playing on the stereo. My dad, Charlie, works so it's just me. I've been going to this school for two years now and not once had the district board even taken a walk through our school. I'm sure they'd find the Black Plague in our garbage cans and cafeteria. The walk to our tree didn't take too long. I found the old oak tree that my friend Aron and I always hung around under last year and decided to wait for her there. We had carved our names into the tree during freshman year and seeing the etched in wood made me feel a little more at home.

I saw her dark brown hair and pale gray eyes before she even even noticed me. She came barreling towards me and wrapped her arms around my small frame. "Samantha!" She squealed. Her grip on me was strong and hard. Aron, my friend, played several sports including girls wrestling and she was working her way to a black belt in karate. Last year a boy tried to fight her younger brother who was in middle school, and he told her about the kid. The next day she followed her brother to school saw the other kid picking on her brother and shoved that kids ass to the ground. The boy stopped bullying her brother and Aron was satisfied. After that I knew that if I ever got into a fight she'd have my back. Aron put me down planting my feet on the cold cement. "This is going to be a great year!" She exclaimed squealing louder than she needed to, making the heads of people around us turn. "Yes it is." I said not so enthusiastically. "As great as any high school year can be in Oregon." She rolled her eyes at me continuing on. "Our first dance is this Friday!" She continued. "And there having a classroom decorating contest next week!" I rolled my eyes as she went on and on about the dresses we should wear for the dance. My eyes wondered around for a while finally resting on a short girl with bright red curls and a short figure standing by a set of benches, my mouth started to slowly form the most giant stupidest grin anyone has ever seen. I spoke cutting off Aron's rambling. "Look at our little fiery red head." Aron's head swiveled toward the direction I was gesturing to. "Oh my god!" She screamed. "Rebecca!" Aron yelled. She didn't seem to hear her, so knowing Aron she just had to yell louder. "Rebecca!!" She practically screamed across the court yard. Finally she got Rebecca's attention along with the rest of the school, and she whipped her head in our direction with a confused look on her face. As soon as she saw Aron trying to drag her towards us with a fake lasso and swinging her hips she let out a small laugh and pretended to struggle against Aron's fake lasso eventually giving up and walking over to us. There was a big smile stamped across her face. "Hello my best friends." She said trying to look official but only succeeding in making us laugh even more. We talked for a few minutes about our summers before the bell cut in ending our conversation. "Hey I'll see you at lunch!" I called after them as I was heading towards my classroom. I looked up and saw the bright blue sky above me again and couldn't help but think as Aron and Rebecca were walking away how great this year is going to be.