Chapter 5

„He is so adorable" – Caroline was squeaking behind Elena while holding on to Bonnie's arm on their way back from school. It was a lovely warm, sunny day and they've decided to walk it. Caroline was still under the impression of the last weeks party in Stefan's house, about which Elena didn't want to talk about, so both Caroline and Bonnie dropped the subject, but that didn't mean she could stop Caroline from talking about it. Apparently Nik, Stefan's friend, had left quite an impression on her too. „His eyes are blue, but sometimes it seems like they're green, and then sometimes they're both. And his hair is so silky. My hand went over it few times while we were dancing" – Caroline giggled as she reminisced hours and hours of dancing with Nik before Elena came out of nowhere and told her it's time for them to go home. She didn't want to go, but she couldn't let Elena walk home alone in the middle of the night. She was trying to find out what happened and why did Elena practically drag her outside, but Elena wasn't willing to talk about it. On Monday from one group of people she heard Stefan and her were having sex in his parents room, from other group of people that they were making out in the bathroom, some people were saying they were getting high in the attic. She knew Elena, and she knew none of that happened, but she was more interested in what did happen than the silly rumors people were spreading around the school. „And his accent. Oh God his accent" – Caroline yelled as she threw her arm around Bonnie's shoulder. Bonnie laughed out loud at her friends silliness. Caroline wiggled her nose and pulled a wide smile across her face. „And he's a true gentleman. He tried to kiss me few times, but I think that was because he had few beers to drink, and when I stopped him he wasn't unpleasant like boys know to be" – she smiled happily. She furrowed her brows as she glanced at Elena who was walking in front of them like a zombie. „Elena" – she said her friends name with a whisper – „What happened with Stefan?"

Elena stopped walking, but she did not turn around to face them. Caroline and Bonnie stopped behind her, and Bonnie pushed her elbow in Caroline's ribs, because she had heard some rumors around the school too. She didn't believe they were true either, but with the way Elena was acting, she knew something did happen. But she also learned that when something happens it's better to leave Elena to be until she's ready to talk about it herself. Pushing her to open up would only make the situation worse.

„Nothing happened" – Elena replied silently, but she did not turn around to face them, nor did she start walking again.

„Is it true, what happened with Rory Owens?" – Bonnie blurted out. Caroline looked at her in shock since few seconds ago she was pushing her elbow in Caroline's ribs for doing the same thing she was doing now.

Elena turned around to face her friends. Her face was serious, and she looked exhausted, but there were no signs of tears. She was wearing an oversized pink hoodie, and her hair was tied up in a messy bun. She looked like she hasn't slept for days.

„Depends on what you heard" – Elena furrowed her brows and pointed a sharp look at her friends.

Caroline got goosebumps from her look. Elena knew to be scary when she wanted to be. Caroline and Bonnie looked at each other, not sure how they should play their next move, because Elena looked like she's going to explode if she hears something she doesn't like.

„We've heard a lot of things" – Bonnie said as she kept looking at Caroline with the corner of her eye.

Elena cocked her eyebrow at Bonnie. She wasn't in the mood to play games and she did not want to keep any secrets from her friends. „Rory was being Rory so Stefan stepped in. That's all" – Elena sighed.

Well, that was way different than all the other stories they have been hearing around the school. And way better. Bonnie never thought she will be hearing rumors about Elena around the school. Elena wasn't the type to find herself in the middle of situations people would spread rumors about. But there was a certain price to pay for being associated with Stefan. Bonnie simply didn't understand why was Elena willing to pay that price. She even hardly knows the guy and all these years she has been saying what a pretentious dumbass he is. Since she started tutoring him, something in Elena.. changed. And Bonnie didn't know was it for better or worse, but she could see a change in her best friend's behavior.