Chapter 10

The way he said her name kept echoing in her ears. Her name fell down his lips like the sweetest melody, and although she was never a big fan of her name, coming out of his mouth, she could spend the whole eternity listening to it.

„Elena" – he repeated her name once or twice, waking her up from a deep trens she fell into the moment he appeared on the front door. „What are you doing here?" – he asked, genuinly confused and curious, once he was sure she's paying attention to him.

She took few steps backwards, allowing him to step outside. She raised her look up to the sky and noticed clouds closing up above them. The sky was dark, and grey clouds were twirling around each other, creating a spiral mass. She lowered her look down and noticed his curious eyes locked on her face.

„I came to apologize. Actually, I came to explain myself to you" – she tried to make sense of herself.

He obviously woke up not so long ago. He was wearing blue boxers and a wrinkled, grey shirt. His hair was a mess, it was all over the place, and it looked like the locks of his hair were in a battle for a certain place on his head. His hair was so messed up that not even the mild wind that was blowing their way was able to untangle it, or at least make it move. His eyes looked tired, and his eyebrows were close to each other. There was one important thing missing – his smile. Or more importantly, smile he had when he was around her. That little smirk in the corner of his lips, widening into a big smile with every step she made closer to him.

„About what?" – he crossed his arms on his chest while looking at her right in the eyes.

She looked at him in awe and sighed. „About what happened with Matt" – she lowered her head to detach her look from his, but before she knew it, her head was back up, like something was making her to maintain eye contact with him – „That was one big.. no, enormous mistake. It was an accident and - "

„So his lips accidentally fell on yours and stayed like that for couple of minutes?" – he interrupted her in the middle of her sentence. He's not going to make this any easier for her, is he? He was obviously mad. No, he wasn't just mad, he was hurt too. He made few steps closer to her, and she took few steps backwards, afraid of being close to him. But he didn't seem to notice. Or he simply didn't react to her action. „Tell me this Elena, when did you realize kissing him is a mistake? Before you kissed him, or after?" – he asked while maintaining a serious expression on his face.

Saying she didn't kiss Matt, but that Matt kissed her, would be a lie, and it would be a cowardly thing to do. It would be an easy way out. Because she did kiss him back. She probably wouldn't have kissed him back if he hadn't made her feel like shit few minutes before. But that was no excuse and Elena did not want to tell that to Stefan. She didn't want Stefan to have a bad opinion about Matt, especially now when he apologized, and when she knows he never meant what he said.

She could feel a first drop of rain on her skin.

„Before" – she said through a whisper, ashamed of her own actions. She wanted to tear her look away from Stefan's, but she couldn't. She had a feeling someone had put a spell on her, a spell which prevented her from looking away, or from looking anywhere else other than his eyes.

„And you did it anyway" – he shook his head.

She furrowed her brows. „Yes Stefan, I made a mistake. Are you going to tell me you never made a mistake before?" – she had crossed her arms on her chest, partially to make a statement, and partially because the wind started blowing harder, and she was getting cold.

Busted. Unfortunately, he had no come back. He had made many mistakes before, mistakes worse than the one she made. But he was tired of hiding his feelings. He was tired of checking her out in the hallway. He was tired of wanting her and not being able to have her, and he was tired of hoping one day he'll have her. They're going to clear whatever's going on between them now, once and for all. Hopefully, before the rain starts pouring down.