Prompt #9

He was running through the courtyard, his legs burning with exhaustion but he didn't want to stop until he caught what he wanted

He was running through the courtyard, his legs burning with exhaustion but he didn't want to stop until he caught what he wanted. The ravenette's laugh echoed through his head as a smile peeled on his face. "O! Come on." He spoke as he wasn't running at his full speed. He wanted the girl to have fun and not make her feel bad by catching her right away.

"Come on what Sky? We are playing tag. The whole point of the game is to catch me." She teased him looking over her shoulder her green eyes colliding with his own making his heart beat ten times faster. He wondered how he got so lucky. Some how she allowed him in her life.

They may be young but he knew that what he felt for her was love. His first love. With everything going on in his life. His mother dying, his father's abuse taking on the big brother role to Chance and Emily. She was his break from his cruel reality.

His father was away on a business trip, Emily was running around trying to live a normal 'pre teen ' life and Chance has his own secret hiding at their beach safe house. Normally he was the one never breaking any rules but when it came to Octavia he would break down the walls of hell for her.

"It's going to rain, and I'm not so sure Mattie will be happy to spare you clothes again. I don't think she likes you very much." The boys said as he linked his arm around her waist pulling her close. Skylar could feel her heart pumping like a hummingbirds on a hot day. Her tan cheeks brightly colored red, her green eyes sparking like fresh dew on grass. He couldn't think of a more perfect human being.

"Well Mattie is in love with you. I only expect that." Her words came out playful as Skylar rolled his eyes at the girl. He hated when she brought up Mattie's clear obsession with him. He felt bad enough as it is about not feeling the same way about his best friend he didn't need any reminders.

"But don't worry I might not be able to fight very hard but I will always fight for you Sky." She muttered before she place a quick kiss on his lips. "Besides I love the rain! And it's so romantic maybe we can have our first kiss under the rain." Octavia said with a wink.

"We have already had our first kiss." Skylar pointed out keeping the girl close to him, his fingers hooked on through the loops of her jeans.

She wrapped her arms around him and smiled lovingly up at him. Like he wasn't a man that was training on becoming a killer. The next leader to a world wide gang. "I was talking in another life. Maybe one where we didn't know each other. I was unhappy in my relationship and you came in sweeping me away with your idiotic jokes, and undeniable charm." She closed her eyes allowing herself to dream of this alternate world.

Skylar watched as her lips turned into that warm smile he loved so much allowing himself to fall into this fake reality she was building for them. "One where your dad wasn't a treat to us anymore. Where you could be yourself. You would come save me on a rainy day. My prince cladded in anger issues and smirks. We would share our first kiss in the down pour. Melting into each other's embrace. The rain washing away my sorrows and your past sins. Allowing us to start over a brand new life."

She spoke poetry whenever she talked but this was a whole new avenue. As if he could see this all happening. He craved it to happen. "O. You have me now though. You will always have me." Skylar said.

"I know but I like to imagine a more romantic first kiss then at a park just minutes after your sister was yelling at you for stealing her knives." Octavia teased ripping them away from their sweet moment.

"Wow how did you get my heart again? I know it wasn't because of your sarcastic humor." The boy muttered causing the girl to laugh.

•••••••

The rain beat on his window. Nights like these he never slept, rainy nights always left him with a hollow feeling. It hardly ever rained in Applegate but when it did you could almost always expect Skylar Lockhart to be awake. In one room.

His eyes locked on the chair that seat in front of him. The whole scene haunted him as if it was happening in the present. Her screams and cries. Her last I love you. Begging him to take her life in exchange for his. Tears filled his eyes as he hit the chair away.

How he wished he could go back in time and save her. Save her from himself. She was too pure for him and he ruined it. Just like how he ruins everything in his life. Mattie had given up on him and went to go lead the international side of the Lockhart gang after he cheated on Daisy with her then said it was just a impulsive thing he did. Daisy broke up with him because he cheated on her. And now he was just stuck in a house full of cold, cruel memories without anyone to lean on.

The thunder screamed at him. Yelling at him for everything he's done. Her voice echoed in his ears. 'The rain can mend a broken heart", "Don't be so hard on yourself Sky. None of this is your fault."

She loved the rain and he loved her. He saw her everywhere he went. He saw her in Daisy. Maybe there was a sick part in him that only loved Daisy because her kind soul reminded him of the one he lost all those years ago.

"Hey, figured you be down here." His voice was soft yet cold and hard. He could pick out his brother's voice out of a million people. No one could ever be his brother. Chance was perfect in so many ways. Father's favorite son. Calm, stable, smart, cunning, strong, kind. So many words could describe his brother. Skylar always envied his brother.

How he wished to be his brother everyday. Have his looks, his smarts, the way he handled himself and everything that is thrown at him. If Chance wanted the gang he would of already had it. Everyone respected Chance. Everyone feared Skylar. There was a big difference.

"She wouldn't want you to be killing yourself over this. Octavia would want you to carry on." Chance always the caring one even though he never wanted to take accountability for it. He would comfort Emily by giving her little notes or gifts to cheer her up and put Skylar's name on them. He never got why. Maybe it was because he knew that Skylar needed Emily's love more than he did.

Skylar looked to his younger brother his jaw clenched. "You hardly even knew her." Skylar declared.

"On the contrary. I talked to her quiet often. I like to know who is in my siblings life, and at the time I wasn't as skilled at gaining information like I am now. So the only way I could do that was by talking to her. She was a close friend of mine." For a mere second Chance lost his facade. His guilt showing as he knew the girl was very much alive. As he was the one to save her and patch her up before sending her off to somewhere far away from their father. "She loved you. More than you could ever know."

Skylar stayed silent. "She loved the rain. Everytime it rains I can't help but-"

"It's okay Brother. I understand. Everytime I look at the twins all I can see is Bonnie and every mistake I had ever made that caused her to leave my side." Chance let his brother in to his sad and depressing mind. "But that doesn't make me lock myself up at the Beach house to relive the moments she stabbed me and ran away. You are Skylar Lockhart. The strongest one of us all."

"I'm no Lockhart and we both know that." Skylar sighed as he shook his head. He always wondered if Brad was his true dad would he of been treated any differently? Or would he still be berated and treated second class to his younger siblings?

"Who the fuck cares about blood. You are still a Lockhart and you will die as one." Chance said patting his brother's back. "Look I have to make sure Kristi isn't filing through my shit again. But go back to bed. Or really anywhere but here. It's not healthy."

Skylar nodded his head and heard his brother walk off. He quietly lifted up the chair and placed it back in its rightful spot. He looked at the chair to see the ghost of the girl he lost smiling up at him.

The Storms would always be there thing. The girl that held a storm in her eyes and the boy that was a living hurricane. They destroyed each other and Skylar just wished she was here once again to make his heart skip a beat one last time.