Chapter 10

Two hours it had been when he had met her and now she was gone. But the promise still remained.

Whoever did this will surely burn in hellfire in afterlife. And i will turn this dunya for them, with the help of Allah, into a pit of jahanum as well. They will rot in clink till the last breath of their lives. His words still breathed even if she didn't.

It wasn't that she belonged to him in any blood relation but still he had prayed for her survival even tho this society wouldn't have accepted her. Just like her parents who too denied from taking her. They didn't even come to see her corpse. That laid there in a white room, ever so coldly, cladded in white sheets.

When he entered, he took in her fragile figure into his eyes, noticing every details. He didn't have the guts to remove sheets from her pale face.

He was perplexed because the last thing Abdul Rehman said was that she was recovering at a fast rate and that her vitals were perfectly fine. Then what happened all of a sudden.

It almost felt surreal that she died. Not because she could help expose those who raped her but because she had a whole life ahead. That she deserved to live.

He balled his hands into fists until his knuckles turned fully white. He stormed out of the room because he couldn't manage to stand any further.

***

Zaman stood next to Bazil as few people dug in the grave and descended Nimra down. Her father despite of the fact that he denied accepting his daughter when rescued, now had been crying helplessly, gazing the vast blue sky every now and then.

They had decided to do the funeral after zuhar. After the tadfeen, everyone brought their hands up, making dua for her.

Bazil placed a hand  over her father's shoulder, consoling him and then joined Zaman in the car who was already sitting there. He seemed to be deep in his thoughts.

"Kya soch rahe ho?"

(What are you thinking about?)

"Kya na sochon!" Zaman spat back.

(What to not think about!)

Once they were on road, heading to nowhere, an eerie silence fell in between. They both were jumbled in their thoughts when out of nowhere Zaman murmured. "May be you were right. May be I shouldn't have trusted Abdul Rehman."

"But still we cannot take him as a culprit. Never without evidences."

"Junaid called me a while back. He said that the footage of cctv camera on the exit gate broke a few hours ago of the incident. What do you think?"

"Mukbari. Shayad," Bazil rubbed his beard.

(Planned. May be.)

"To some extent."

"There's a lot more to it." Bazil thoughtfully said. "Where'd you go now?"

"Office."

Bazil turned his head to Zaman, ogling him as if he had grown two heads. "Are you mad? You haven't slept whole night!"

"Can't skip work." Zaman coldly replied.

***