1

"I really need to meet more people around here, or at least somebody who doesn't annoy the crap out of me," I kicked at a rock on the sidewalk, swaying slightly from the bit of alcohol I consumed.

"Write your number on something and hide it somewhere. I've done that before. Works like a charm," my sister Kyler said as she shrugged.

I perked up at the mention of it. A little risky, but something I could do.

I got a piece of paper out of my bag and wrote my number on it, Kyler followed me to the park we were by. I found a rock to put the little note under, where it was sticking out some so people could still see it.

"I wonder if that'll even work, somebody will probably take it as litter and throw it away."

"If it doesn't work, oh well. I need more to drink, come on," Kyler nudged my shoulder as we started heading back home.

*****

*2 weeks later*

I wake up to hear crying, wait nearly screaming baby. My baby. I roll out of bed, looking at the clock that reads 9:13am. I walk into his room which is beside mine and pick him up. He stops crying almost instantly. I smile brightly at him admiring the little boy.

Kaleb. My pride and joy. My happiness. The sweetest little boy I know.

He makes a face at me while he grabs at my hair.

I take him back to my room and my phone dings, I walk over with Kaleb on my hip, reading the message.

Unknown
hey

Well that's plain..

I look at my screen confused before replying.

uhh.... who's this?? I believe you might have the wrong number.

I found this # at a park

I totally forgot about that, I smiled to myself, maybe this person could be cool.

oh hey! I remember putting that there now. I just wanted to meet somebody new for a friend :)

I push my phone in my pocket and set Kaleb on the changing table.

I finish doing up his little onesie, throwing the dirty diaper in the bin.

My phone dings again as Kaleb starts to cry again. I sigh, picking him up, bouncing him in my arms and put his binky in his mouth and head downstairs. I made myself some coffee, having being exhausted from only getting a few hours of sleep due to my nightmares.

I yawned and made Kaleb his bottle, taking it out of the warmer and heading into the living room where my little sister Kacy is watching television.

I sit down, laying Kaleb down in my arms, taking his binky put of his mouth replacing it with his bottle.

"Can I feed him?" Kacy asks as she comes over towards me.

"Yea thanks," I handed him over to Kacy, taking out my phone and sipping the hot beverage.

Well i'm in need of a friend too. My names Ella, what's yours?

Hey Ella, I'm Kodi :)

I hate to ask this and be rude. But are you a girl or boy?

I'm a girl. It's fine though. People would mistake me for a boy when they see my name.

I see. It's a really pretty name though :)

really? Thanks, I think Ella is a beautiful name as well ;)

It's nice to meet you Kodi. Tell me about yourself?

It's nice to meet you too :)
Well, I'm from Portland but I now live here. I'm 18, just graduated last year, I have 3 other siblings, one younger, 15 , and 2 older, 19 and 22. What about you?

That's cool! I'm 17, I am sadly still in school but I'm a senior, I have an older brother and sister who are 19.

When I was about to answer, Kacy tapped my shoulder and handed me my little baby boy and an empty bottle.

I walked back upstairs and carefully put Kaleb in his bouncer in front of the tv watching Winnie the Pooh. I turn the baby monitor on that always stays in the room. I grab the other one heading into my bathroom with it.

I sit it carefully on the sink, strip my clothes off and jump in the shower, turning the water on, letting the heat take over my body.

-----

I lay on my bed texting Ella, Kaleb fast asleep on my chest looking as cute as ever.

I quickly take a picture of the sleeping boy then text Ella.

so what ya up to?

nothing really, just chillin with my family.

well I'll let you go, have fun :)))

I put my phone down ignoring the buzzes coming from it and got up and put Kaleb in his crib and went to sleep.

———
This is the rewrite, not much has changed, I've just added some siblings and changed the ages and where they're from. There will be more changes throughout the book. But it won't be a whole lot. Probably just changing names and getting rid of some people.
This will be the shortest chapter, only because it is the first one. I promise they will be longer.

Word count: 858