1: Avatar Beifong

PART 1

"I never wanted to be the Avatar, I know it would put my mom and me in serious danger. I don't know why I was chosen, what twisted fate chose me to be the master of 4 elements, protector of the world? To me, that's pretty messed up, I'm 17 and already have the weight of the world resting on my shoulders."

"Ally!" a stern female voice pierced 17-year-old Alice Beifong's train of thought, causing her to look up in shock. She was filing paperwork in an office when the woman came in and she dropped the papers in surprise. One caught her hand on the way down, making a thin cut on her palm. A tall muscular woman stood in the doorway of the office with her hands on her hips. She had wavy gray hair that sat just below her chin and was wearing metal police armor. Like a tunic made of metal, and a leather belt with a gold buckle. She was wearing gray pants that she tucked into her boots, making them puff a bit at the top. 

"Hi, Mom," Ally said. "What's up?"

"There's someone we need to talk to," Lin Beifong was the woman standing in the doorway, the no-nonsense police chief in Ally's hometown of Republic City. Ally looked at her mother and nodded, walking out of the office. She went down a hallway into a metal room where a young woman was sitting. She was wearing a light blue halter top with bands around her forearms, one on her bicep, a fur wrap around her waist, and dark blue pants. She had three ponytails, one coming off the back of her head, and the other two hanging down by her ears. She had tan skin and looked defiantly at the two women as they walked in. 

"Mom?" Ally asked. 

"Talk to her," Lin whispered. She closed the door behind Ally, leaving the two women alone. 

"Who are you?" the girl with the ponytails asked.

"Ally," Ally replied. "Who are you, and why did my mom want me to come in here?"

"I'm Korra," the girl said. "The Avatar." Ally had to stifle a gasp as she sat down in front of Korra. 

"I've heard about you, isn't there another Avatar?" Ally asked, playing dumb. 

"Yeah, her names Ally Beifong, I came to Republic City to find her and to start airbending, well, that's what Tenzin told me." Korra explained. "Do you know her by any chance? I have no idea who she is, or what she looks like."

"You're looking at her," Ally chuckled. "I'm Ally Beifong, the other Avatar, I guess."

"Shut up!" Korra exclaimed. "REALLY?!"

"Yeah," Ally said sheepishly and rubbed the back of her neck. Korra tried to stand up, but her wrists were attached to a table using metal and she couldn't move. "I'm assuming you already met my mother?"

"Chief Crankypants?" Korra inquired. "Yup met her. She's a real charmer."

"Yeah, that's her," Ally stated. "She's never really been one to show emotion, except for anger and disgust. And she's not really a people person."

"Jeez," Korra muttered. "That's a lot to do, on top of being that Avatar."

"You're telling me," Ally mumbled. 

"How do you deal with that woman?" Korra inquired. 

"She is my mother," Ally went on the defensive. 

"Sorry," Korra apologized. "I didn't mean to be rude."

"It's okay," Ally replied. "Underneath her hard exterior, she's a loving, gentle person." 

She was cut off as Lin walked into the room with a man behind her. He was tall wearing a red cloak and yellow underneath. He had a pointed beard and a blue arrow tattoo pointing to his nose. It was Councilman Tenzin, one of the leaders of Republic City, and Ally's birth father. Ally clenched her fists on the table, creating marks where her fingers were. She didn't like Tenzin for numerous reasons, the main one being that he was never around. He ditched Lin for a non-bender, perfect to carry Airbender children. He was so devoted to his other family, he forgot all about his other daughter. Lin covered Ally's fist with her palm, rubbing the side of her daughter's hand with her thumb. Slowly, Ally's fist unfurled and her fingers left indents on the metal table. 

"I'm here to take Korra back to the South Pole," Tenzin said. "I'll cover all damages from today."

"Get her out of my sight," Lin growled. She waved her hand and the handcuffs fell off of Korra's wrists. She walked out of the room, staring Lin down on the way out. Lin took her index and pinky finger, pointed them at her eyes then flicked them at Korra's retreating back. She groaned and pinched the bridge of her nose, one hand still over her daughter's. "What was that about, kid?"

"I still don't like Tenzin," Ally grumbled. "He ditched us for his own perfect airbending family." She shot a blast of air out of her fist and looked at her mom as if to say "I can airbend too.

"I know, kid," Lin sighed. "But you'll always have me."

"I know," Ally smiled. She stood up and wrapped her arms around her mother's neck. Lin smiled gently and returned the hug, holding the young woman close. The next day, Lin put aside her personal feelings to attend a press conference announcing the Avatar's stay. Thousands turned up to witness the press conference. For the first time in history, there were two Avatars living in the same world. Whether they liked it or not, their destinies were linked and their fates tied. Ally looked at Korra and bowed her head. This was only the start.