6: Arena Attack

"Today is the day of the big Fire Ferrets championship! Korra and her teammates made it to the finals and I couldn't be prouder of them. Korra's truly living up to her potential, and I'm so happy for her. But I have no idea what's going to happen today, but my gut says it's not going to be good."

"This is Amon," a chilling voice came over the radio. "I hope you all loved the pro-bending match of last night because it will be the last one. Stop worshiping these athletes as if they were heroes. I call upon the city council to shut down the arena tonight, and you'd best heed my warning. Because if you don't do as I ask, there will be severe repercussions." The radio faded into static, and Ally, who was listening to the broadcast, looked up at her mother in horror. 

"We need to get to City Hall," Lin said bluntly. "Now." They got into the car, and Lin put her foot on the gas, driving towards City Hall. When they got there, Ally broke off into a sprint, Lin following behind. Ally burst through the doors and Lin shot a metal cable that broke Tarrlok's gavel in half, just as they were about to close the arena. 

"Alice!" Tenzin scolded. "What are you doing here? You have no business, nor authority." 

"Yeah, but Chief Beifong does," Ally smirked. 

"This may be the first and last time you hear me say this," Lin sighed as she recoiled the cable. It clashed up against the bands on her wrists, creating sparks. "I agree with Korra."

"What?" Korra asked, she turned around and looked at Ally who winked. 

"I expected this kind of cut-and-run attitude from Tenzin," Lin scoffed. "I know from firsthand experience, but the rest of you, grow a spine. We need to show some unity against Amon and these equalists." 

"What do you mean, firsthand?" Tarrlok asked. "If you don't mind me asking." A smirk crossed Lin's lips as she looked at the council. 

"When I told Tenzin he had a daughter, he ran from the problem to start his own, perfect airbending family," Lin said. "He left me to raise a kid alone." An awkward silence filled City Hall as Tenzin looked down at his feet, a slight flush rising up the back of his neck. 

"We can't put innocent lives in jeopardy," Tenzin exclaimed. "We must prevent conflict, not start a war! The council won't change its decision."

"You never made a decision," Ally said roughly. "My mom broke your gavel." 

"Let's hear what Lin has to say," Tarrlok said. "She is our esteemed Chief of police."

"Keep the arena open," Lin stated. "My metalbenders, Ally, and I will protect it."

"Your daughter is a child," Tarrlok replied. "What help can she be?" Lin nodded at Ally who stepped forward. The young woman took a deep breath and smirked. She thrust her palm out and a gust of air shot out of it, followed by a bust of fire. She slammed her foot into the ground, causing it to crack and crumble underneath her, then she twirled her hand, making a puddle of water out of condensation in the air.

"Did I mention I'm also the Avatar?" Ally asked. 

"What? How?" The council was flabbergasted. "There are two Avatars?"

"Yup," Ally replied. "I've been searching for an answer for years and zilch. Nothing can tell me why there are two of us. Guess it just happened. Now, will you please listen to the Chief?"

"As I was saying," Lin continued. "My daughter, metalbenders, and I will provide security around the arena. We can deal with the chi blockers because the armor we wear is impervious to their methods." 

"So you're saying you'll take all the responsibility for the lives in that arena?" Tarrlok inquired.

"And if we lose a life, it's on your hands?"