13: Spirit Festival (short chapter)

PART 2

"Mako, being his weird unpredictable self, decided to join the police force. Mom made him a beat cop, and he did a pretty darn good job. Asami kept working at her factories, trying to get Future Industries back to its old self, Korra was working on her airbending training, and I'm bored out of my mind." 

"Mom," Ally grumbled. "Once again, why can't I go to the South Pole with Korra? It's a spiritual festival, Korra and I are the BRIDGE between worlds after all."

"Because I can't protect you," Lin said bluntly. "We have no idea what's going to be there."

"Mom, I'm going to be 18 soon," Ally protested. "For once can you let me be free?" 

"Fine," Lin gave in. "But you better be back here in a couple of days."

"Deal," Ally exclaimed. She jumped up and gave Lin a hug before she ran out and got on a ship. They headed to the South Pole where Ally got to see her grandma and her Aunt Kya. 

"Are you Alice?" Kya asked. She was a tall woman with white-gray hair that she tied up behind her. She had soft blue eyes and a kind expression that could make anyone feel warm inside. 

"Yeah," Ally nodded. "Most people just call me Ally."

"It's nice to finally meet you, Tenzin told me about you," Kya smiled gently. "So you're the Avatar as well?"

"Yes, ma'am," Ally replied. 

"Ally, it's okay," Kya put her hand on her niece's shoulder. "You can let your guard down, I've known your mom for a very long time, the last time I saw you was when you were a baby. Your mom brought you here to visit us."

"Really?" Ally asked. 

"Yeah," Kya chuckled. 

"Who's that?" Ally inquired, getting distracted by a ship on the sea. She pointed out to the ocean as a grand ship docked at the port. 

"That's the chief of the Northern Water Tribe," Korra chimed in. "My father's younger brother, Unalaq." 

The chief of the water you've was a tall lanky man, who was clearly wealthy based on his clothing and appearance. He was clean shaven and had a polished look about him. Ally instantly got a mixed vibe from him, she wasn't sure if he could be trusted. Meanwhile, Asami and Bolin were meeting with Varrick, one of the richest men in the world. He was a bit crazy, but he agreed to help Asami her company back on track. He's a cooky man with a thin mustache and slicked back hair. The rest of the festival went on without a hitch, until later that night when a dark spirit attacked. Tall and purple with glowing yellow eyes, it stood on the snow, barely leaving a footprint. It had four legs, and spines that shot out of its back. 

"Okay, what is happening?" Ally woke up to a full blown fight between spirits and everyone else. She jumped down an ice ledge and started throwing rocks at the spirit. "I turn away for ONE second and we get attacked by spirits." The spirit wrapped a tendril around her and threw her against a house, knocking her out cold. She woke up a few minutes later and grabbed her head, realizing the spirit was gone. Unalaq was able to send it back in peace, and Korra chose him as her new teacher. Ally went back to Republic City to continue training with her mother.