15: Turmoil

"Korra started a civil war, thanks, and now moms pissed at Korra all over again. So now my moms pissed at my friend, and I have to potentially stop a civil war. Oh, joy. Because of the tension between the north and south, crime has been popping up all over the city, it's not a fun time."

"Ally!" Lin said, snapping her daughter out of her thoughts. She was absentmindedly tightening handcuffs on a northern suspect, cutting off the circulation to his fingers. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Ally loosened them and got some water to heal his wrists and get blood flowing again. "I'm so sorry, are you okay?" The guy nodded and Ally turned around. 

"You okay, Alls?" Lin asked. "You've been a little out of sorts for a few days."

"Just a little spiritual unrest," Ally explained. "Just some weird stuff is going on, I don't know how to explain it, but I feel like something is gonna happen." She watched as a boat pulled up to the dock and Korra stepped out. 

"Welcome back," Lin said. "Thanks a bunch for starting a civil war."

"It's more than that!" Korra protested. "It's complicated." Lin rolled her eyes and turned to Mako, her hands on her hips. 

"I need you back," she explained. "There's a peace march tonight, southern water tribe, and I need all hands on deck."

"Got it," Mako replied. 

"I'll come too, everyone, especially the south needs to see I'm on their side," Korra announced. 

"Oh, that's just great," Lin groaned. "That'll make EVERYONE calm down." She turned and walked away, a sigh escaping her lips. 

"Korra, I'm with you, but I think you should sit this one out," Ally told her. "With you there, it's going to be a mess, as the avatar you can't deliberately side with one tribe."

"I can't, Ally!" Korra exclaimed. "The north invaded my home, and I can't just be neutral."

"Alright, but be careful," Ally squeezed her friends shoulder and walked off. 

The rest of the day passed relatively quickly, and they went to the southern water tribe cultural center to watch over the peace march. Men and women from the south held signs and candles, walking silently down the street, ignoring shouts and jeers from the northerners on the other side. The northerners were blocked off by barricades and police forces, but they kept yelling at everyone else. Everything was going fine until an explosion racked the air. The cultural center went up in flames, knocking Ally back. She got up and looked at the flames, the wind blowing her hair out of its ponytail. She started bending the water around her, trying to stop the blaze from spreading. She held it off as long as she could until fire brigades got there to finish the job. 

"Ally," Lin ran over to her daughter after the blaze was out. "Are you okay, sweetheart?"

"Yeah," Ally replied. "But jeez, that was a little shaky." A couple days passed and President Raiko came to talk to Lin about the bombing.

"How did this happen?!" He shouted. "Right under your nose?! How come you haven't arrested anyone responsible to this, especially the northerners."

"We've been looking," Ally said. "We've been working on it."

"Work harder! You're not doing enough!" Raiko snapped at the young woman. 

"Sir," Lin stepped in front of her daughter, pushing Ally behind her. "Please, that's my daughter you're yelling at."

"I don't care!" Raiko yelled. 

"Sir, my daughter is a child, do not raise your voice at her," Lin went on the defensive. "My daughter and I have been working day and night trying to find those responsible for the bombing."

"If you don't get me results, I'll find someone who will," Raiko snarled. 

"We've been trying," Ally whispered. "What else do you expect us to do? We've been working out butts off trying to find people responsible. We just need time!" Raiko advanced the young woman with a snarl on his lips, he raised a hand as if to hit her, but Lin intervened. 

"This is not the time, sir," she said. "We are in a workplace." she shielded Ally behind her as Mako came in. 

"Chief?" Mako asked. 

"What makes you think that you can waltz in here and interrupt an important meeting, with the PRESIDENT?!" Lin snapped. 

"I'm sorry, but I have a lead," Mako stammered. "I may have a suspect."

"Well get out," Lin growled. "Give it to Lu and Gang, the ACTUAL detectives, you idiot." 

She groaned and pinched the bridge of her nose. After a few moments, Raiko ended the meeting and and walked out of the office. He went over to Mako and told him to spill if Korra was planning to do anything illegal. Mako hesitates, but told the president that Korra was going to talk to General Iroh about getting troops to the south. Raiko confronted Korra and tied Iroh's hands, he couldn't refuse a direct order from the president. Korra decided to go to the Fire Nation to talk to Fire Lord Izumi and Lord Zuko, they had always been good friends of the Avatar. But when she realized Mako tipped the president off, she made a quick stop at the police station. She kicked down the spot and started yelling at her boyfriend. Ally heard the shouts from her moms office, but decided she was probably best in there. 

"You told the president?!" Korra shouted. "You betrayed me! Stabbed me in the back!"

"He asked me a direct question, he's he PRESIDENT," Mako protested. "I'm not going to lie, I'm a man of the law."

"You betrayed my family, you betrayed me!" Korra yelled. With a quick roundhouse kick, she sent Mako's desk flying into Lin's office door. "My family is going to be WIPED OUT. I can't believe you."

"Stop!" Mako snarled. "This is enough, I have work to do. I can't be constantly looking over my shoulder for you."

"I have a job too!" Korra snapped back. "But you're always on my way!"

"I guess if we're so busy with work, there's no time for a relationship," Mako threw his hands up. 

"So, you're ending it?" Korra asked, her voice shrunk down. 

"Yes," Mako said bluntly. Tears filled Korra's light blue eyes and she ran out. Lin opened her office door to see a desk in the hallway and papers strewn everywhere. 

"What- what the flameo?" She gasped. "What happened?!"

"I... I broke up with Korra," Mako explained. A sly smirk rose up Lin's lips. 

"Oh, you got off pretty easy," she chuckled. "You should have seen Air Temple Island seventeen years ago when Tenzin broke up with me." Meanwhile, as Korra headed for the fire nation, Unalaq's kids Eska and Dezna were sent to bring her in. But as they were about to, Korra was taken by a dark spirit and presumed dead.