31: Zaofu Breach (long chapter)

"That feeling like something is gonna happen just won't go away! Like, come on. We heard from Tenzin a couple of days ago and things are going pretty well at the Temple, it's nice to see him so happy. Even though we don't have the best relationship, I'm still glad he's happy."

"Ally!" Lin threw the door of the guest house open, scaring the living daylights out of her daughter. Ally fell out of the bed and landed with a hard thump. 

"What in spirits," Ally groaned. She sat up and looked at her mom with a serious bed head. 

"Get your lazy butt up," Lin reprimanded. "We have an hour until Opal's farewell dinner."

"Oh, crud!" Ally stuck her hand out, remembered she left her police armor in Republic City and chuckled nervously. She threw a top over her tank top and put on her boots, slicking her hair back until it looked somewhat respectable. Then she milled around for a little bit until dinner. The food, as usual, looked amazing and had an explosion of flavor. When they were all there, including Aiwei, Varrick, and Zhu Li, Su stood up. 

"Everyone, tonight my beautiful baby girl heads to the Northern Air Temple," she announced. "We are so proud of you, you're an amazing friend, daughter, sister, and soon Airbender master. To Opal!" Su kissed her daughter's forehead and raised her glass, everyone following suit. After that, an airship came to pick Opal up. Opal stood near the front of the ship, waving goodbye to her friends and family. She smiled sweetly, but she missed them already. Lin crossed her arms, but a smile crossed her lips. 

"We're leaving tomorrow, first thing," she said and walked off. The domes surrounded them, locking down the house for the night. That night when Lin was getting ready for bed, a small shadow in the mirror caught her attention. 

"Mom?" Ally asked. 

"Ally, what's the matter, honey?" Lin turned around and opened her arms. Ally walked up to them, the light illuminating her fear-stricken face. 

"Can I stay here tonight?" Ally whispered. 

"Yeah, of course," Lin replied. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"I don't know, it's like this feeling of darkness overcame me," Ally tried to explain. "I don't know how to explain it."

"It's okay," Lin told her. "Stay here tonight. I'm right here." They slept peacefully until a series of explosions caused them to look up. Ally jumped up, and ran out the door, tying her hair back as she went. She saw Zaheer and his companions with Korra slung over Gazahn's shoulder. 

"Korra!" Ally yelled, drawing the attention to her. 

Zaheer's eyes met Ally's and a shiver ran down her spine, he was the darkness she felt. She flipped her palms up so they were facing the sky and metal plates surrounded the criminals. She made an uppercut motion with both her arms and more plates surrounded them. With Lin and Su's help, they were able to trap Zaheer and his team in a dome of metal. Ally took a defensive stance, her feet bare so she could sense everything around her. She closed her eyes and put her hands in front of her. They were straight, like knives. She turned her head slightly, then opened her eyes in shock. Lava started to pour out of the dome, coming towards them like water, bubbling, and red.

"Move, move, move!" Ally yelled, she used a rock to push herself backward and jumped down in a safe place. A snarl furled Lin's lips as she pushed Ally behind her. The meal of the dome melted, revealing the four people who tried to kidnap Korra. Korra was lying unconscious behind them, her long dark hair falling over her face. Lin bent a sheet of metal to protect them from P'Li's incoming explosions. There were two sharp pops then a boom as the explosion left her mind and turned into physical fire. Su protected them with a sheet of metal as another blast almost took them out.