22: Separation (short chapter)

"When I saw Vaatu escape from that tree, it was like all my worst fears had been confirmed. Unalaq was going to fuse with Vaatu and he was going to destroy the world. All I could think about was mom, if she died, I would never forgive myself."

Ally and Korra looked up at the spirit Vaatu. He looked like a flying squid, kite, thing. He towered over everything, a huge body shaped like a diamond, tentacles, and tendrils that came out of his head and body, and an intricate pattern on his underbelly that had swirls and stripes. 

"About time, Raava," Vattu snarled. "Harmonic convergence once again."

"You can't fuse with Unalaq!" Ally yelled. 

"We're going to put you right back into the hole you came from!" Korra's eyes glowed white and she clenched her fists. Vaatu flew upwards and prepared to fuse with Unalaq, but Korra shot a blast of fire that tore them apart. Ally shot a blast of air at Unalaq, and Korra got him into a vortex, shooting him back through the portal. The two young women turned to face Vaatu, going into the avatar state. Ally bent the rocks around her, throwing them at Vaatu as she went. Korra bent the other three elements trying to subdue the dark spirit. But she was taken down and secured by spirit vines, she was hovered in the air, trying to break free. They kept fighting, Korra trying to do what Wan did 10,000 years ago, and Ally making sure Vaatu stayed in his place. 

She wrapped him in a dome of air surrounded by an eclipse of the three other elements, fire, earth, and water. She was about to get him into the tree of time when Unalaq arrived and shot her down. Ally shot a blast of water out of her palm and knocked Unalaq back, but it wasn't enough. He returned the gesture tenfold, throwing her into a rock, and knocking her unconscious. Vaatu and Unalaq fused together, and Unalaq turned into a dark avatar. He looked the same, but with glowing red eyes. Unalaq and Korra started a battle of the elements, outside of the spirit portal. He trapped Korra and Ally, who woke up shortly after, started to fight. Her eyes glowed white, and together, she and Korra went after Unalaq. Even though it was two against one, Unalaq was a lot stronger spiritually than they were. He trapped Ally and Korra and tore Raava out of them. Using Vaatu, the spirit clamped itself over their faces and tore the light spirit out. 

"No!" Ally yelled, trying to reach the light spirit. Unalaq picked Raava up and slammed her into a rock, using a tendril of water, he started to beat her. Ally let out a yell of pain as her past lives vanished in an explosion of light. The more times Unalaq hurt Raava, the more past avatars disappeared. He kept hurting Raava until every single avatar was gone, even Wan. Ally reached out to the spirit, just as Unalaq severed her in half and she vanished in a stream of golden light. Ally and Korra went limp as Unalaq transformed into a giant red monster, he entered the spirit portal and vanished, knocking everyone back.