16: More Unrest

"Mom and I still don't have any leads for the cultural center bombing, Bolin is starring in a movie, Mako and Korra are on the rocks, and things are not great. The south and north are at war and Raiko won't do jack."

All across the bay, ships are being attacked by presumed northerners. They leave the crew to live and take the cargo on the ship. Lin and Ally interrogated the captain of one ship, trying to find out what he knew. They took him into a metal room with one-way glass panels, a table, and a microphone. 

"Alright, I know it's been a trying day," Lin started. "But I need you to tell me what happened." 

"We never heard the attackers coming," the captain said. "We were ambushed in pitch black, 30 clicks or so from the harbor."

"This is one of 3 other attacks this week," Lin sighed. "In the same location too."

"It's probably northerners," Gang told the chief. "They're probably trying to stop supplies from getting where they need to go."

"I couldn't agree more," Lin put her hands on the table and raised a thin eyebrow. "Is there anything you can tell me? Anything at all, or something unusual?"

"Yes," the captain replied. "The bombs that were on the ship exploded in a weird way. They didn't have any fuses, so unlike a normal bomb. It was like they were being controlled by something else." Ally leaned upon against the side of the room, her green eyes fogged over with boredom. 

"Wait, Chief!" Mako burst into the room holding a box. "I think there may be a connection between the attack at the cultural center, and the attacks on this ships."

"What are you doing?!" Lin snapped. "What in SPIRITS do you think you're doing?!"

"Did anyone have one of these?" Mako asked the captain. "When they attacked you, did you see one of these?" He held up a remote detonator with a red button in the middle. Ally snapped out of her trance and looked at the detonator with interest. 

"For heaven sakes," Lin hissed. "Mako!" 

"Chief, please," Mako protested. "I don't think the attacks were from the northern water tribe."

"What are you stupid?" Gang asked. "They were northern water tribe and that's it. They were waterbending." 

"Did you see this man on the ship?" Mako continued. He held up a picture of a harsh looking man with spiky hair. 

"No," the captain sighed. 

"Mako, enough!" Lin growled. "Get out of here, NOW!" 

"I think Mako's right," Asami came into the room, followed by Varrick. 

"I have an idea on how to catch the attackers," Mako suggested. "It's a long shot, but it could work." 

"Yeah, lets listen to the moron," Lu smirked. 

"He's better than you'll ever be," Asami snapped back. 

"Who wants fire flakes?" Varrick rose up from behind the table. 

"Okay, enough!" Lin slammed her hand down on the table, causing Ally to jump a foot in the air.

"I don't want to hear another one of your stupid ideas. You're a rookie and a beat cop, now get out of here and do your job for once." She sent them out of the room, but Ally followed them to the front of the police station. 

"We can do a sting operation," Mako was telling Asami. "Set up a bait ship and catch whoever's been attacking."

"Okay, we should do it, that's a great idea," Asami exclaimed. 

"We can't," Mako sighed. "We need to have the police on our side."

"And my mom said no," Mako was cut off by Ally who was leaning up against the station doors. 

"We can do this, Mako," Asami reassured him. 

"No, I can't go behind Beifong's back like this," Mako looked down at the floor. 

"Go do it," Ally said. "I'll buy you some time. Trust me, I've been dealing with my moms wrath for 17 years. Go get theses jerks." That night when Lin and Ally went home, Ally started to have weird dreams. She could see Korra being attacked by a dark spirit, over and over again, then it went black. She woke up with a scream as beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She sat up, her breath heaving as she tried to comprehend what happened. Where was Korra? What happened to her? 

"Ally!" Lin burst into the room to see her daughter, clearly in shock. "Ally, what happened? Are you ok?"

"It's Korra," Ally replied shakily. "Something happened to her."