~chapter nineteen~

Aura once again found herself sitting on the familiar green bench on top of the hill.
But this time she wasn't alone, as Cindy sat next to her.
Both were quiet and didn't know what to say.
The silence wasn't awkward, but there was some tension between the two, and in the air in general.

Two weeks had passed from the day when Alan had handed Aura the acceptance letter for the Spring Hill University.
More then two weeks of their summer break had already passed by. And the start of a new school, and start of a new chapter in their lives was only getting closer.

Both girls were looking to the far distance as they only continued sitting in silence.
Both of them knew they needed to talk. To say something.
But neither wanted to say it out loud. But finally, for Aura's relief, Cindy spoke first breaking the thin silence like a fragile glass.

"You know. I'm so unbelievably glad we were able to be friends.
I'm so lucky to have met, and know you Aura.
I could never have asked for a better friend then you."
As Cindy spoke she knew Aura could hear all the emotion in her voice, but she didn't care.

Aura turned to look at the slightly taller girl next to her, only to find her already facing her with a sad yet beautiful smile.
"Thank you Cindy. Really I mean it.
You have been too good to me.
You were always there for me when no one else was.
Even when you had all those other people around you that you could have been with. You always chose to be by my side.
Thank you."
By the end of her speech, Aura could feel tears trying to escape her eyes.
And unlike normally, she let them.

She felt Cindy wrap her arms around her as tightly as she could, and Aura gladly returned the gesture.
When they finally pulled away from each other after a good five minutes, Aura could see Cindy also crying.

At that moment Aura could only think how Cindy could possibly look so beautiful even while crying.
When here she probably looked like an ugly soaked raisin.
Their school never had cheerleaders but Aura always thought that if they did, Cindy would be the team's captain.

She was pretty, determined and cind. And that's why Aura hadn't exactly been surprised when Cindy had told her that she was going to move to Paris.
She had gotten a place in a modeling industry that she had applied to few months ago.
At first they had joked about it and Cindy hadn't even actually expected to get in or even noticed, but here she was.

Cindy had always had a birth mark on her right temple, shaped like an unfilled moon.
The industry had thought it was unique, and they had told her that she could achieve great things with them.
Of course Cindy had complied, but that meant that she would be moving to Paris.
And because she had been asked to come in as soon as possible, she would already have to move the day after tomorrow.

And so the two girls were enjoying their last summer day together before their paths would separate.

"So."
Cindy started and Aura could hear how her voice change and held a hint of curiosity as well as playfulness.
"Have you talked to Mason recently?"
Cindy finished with a small grin on her lips.

Aura looked at her best friend with half closed eyes and a small pout placed on her lips.
"Really?
You just had to go and ruin the beautiful moment we were having didn't you."
Aura asked over dramatically.

"Well have you?"
Cindy kept on pressuring her friend with an excitement filled tone.

She let out a breath before answering.
"No I haven't. And why should I?"
Aura asked stubbornly.