SIX.

SIX; THE FIRST CASE

The team sits around the roundtable as Pen started up the screen. So what do we have."
Dave says. she was still still in shock of how he knows her name "seven highly decomposed bodies and two that are more recent have been found in a lake in Florida, all 9 victims are female and are around the same age, height and ethnicity. no time of death has been determined for the first 7 but the other two have been put at last Friday and the Friday before that. The corona concluded that the cause of death was by drowning but he definitely had his gross creepy knife fun with them after they died as well as before hand they were held and repeatedly raped prior to their drownings. Unfortunately due to water damage, they were unable to find any DNA on any of the victims."

Flicking through the file, looking at the skeletons that had been pulled from the lake. "There seems to be chips in the bone that were made with some kind of blade, maybe a knife or axe? definite sadist, that would hurt like a bitch."
Everyone nods she sighs in relief that she hadn't embarrassed herself again, "I think probably a small axe due to the curvature in the wounds on the most recent victim"
looking at Spence as she nods "well he would need seclusion to pull this off they wouldn't exactly keep quiet, my guess is a remote cabin somewhere in the forest."
Looking up at Emily who made that conclusion she nods, knowing she was correct. "I reckon maybe an underground bunker somewhere near-ish to the lake so that he can revisit the scene."
Emily shakes her finger in agreement, she takes a shaky breath in knowing she was doing ok for her first day. "I think we start by getting them to canvas the area, but to have as little uniformed officers around as possible, if he tries to revisit we wanna catch him in the act." the team nods in unison "its Monday, we don't know yet how long he holds his victims before he kills them, so we don't know if he has taken another victim, time is of the essence, wheels up in two hours." Hotch concludes.

Rory looks around confused, thoughts racing around her head, Rossi notices Rory's confused face, "hey kid, you got a go bag?"
she looks at him in shock he had spoken to her "no sir I didn't think I would need one together so soon."
Rory's stress rises to a new high "no problem do you live close enough to drive home and back?"
She nods, mapping out the 15 minute rout to her apartment "yes sir" she chants a stress mantra in her mind 'fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck' "take Prentiss with you she know what you should grab. Oh and kid, Call me Rossi or Dave, sir is too formal"
She blushes and nods before grabbing her case and walking out to find Emily.

making their way to her car, Emily holds her massive coffee cup "this is quite the cup you have here"
the humor evident in her tone "yeah look I've found that I can't be awake for long enough to drink my way through the whole pot before I have to leave, but I need it to function, this is the perfect compromise"
she nods in agreement "I got to get me one of these "
Rory smiles softly, "um I got it from a little store back home but I'm sure there's similar things that you can find here?"
she nods in understanding, "damn Australians, you have cool accents though, and gorgeous men"
laughing and opening the car door before hoppingin, "to be completely honest the accent is kind of boring to me, plus we swear way to fucking much. and the men aren't all Chris Hemsworth's trust me. 99% of them are grotty and rude."
she takes a sip out of the coffee cup before passing it back "nah nah your accent is actually so cute and yeah look that seems to be the case with all guys, there is a very small sprinkling of the good ones''
Rory couldn't agree more "I've never really bothered with them to be honest, gone on a few dates but never had a serious guy"
she looks over with an expression of surprise on her face, "not even in college?"
Rory winces knowing her university experience wasn't the usual.

"Well I mean I started uni when I was 13 and was finished at 18 when I went straight into the academy, so I've never really had time"
she just nods "ohhh that makes a lot of sense, I was gonna say like you're gorgeous I'm sure you have guys falling over you left right and center"
feeling her cheeks heat she scoffs "not at allllll I've been on a couple dates and stuff but I'm most happy when I have myself some plants to keep alive and a few good books."
Emily rolls her eyes "you sound like Reid"
her face lights up like a lightbulb "what?"
Aurora groans in anticipation of what was to come "you should date Reid!" Rory rolls her eyes "not you too, I've been here a day and you and Pen have both said that, I should keep a tally"
she bursts out laughing as she presses the accelerator to go as the lights change to green. "Well maybe you should give it a shot"
Her eyes roll into the back of her head "well come on do you at least think he's cute?"
the immediate answer that pops into her head was like a reflex "no!" knowing that was a lie her face goes bright red, that was her tell, she had gotten so good at learning to tell everyone else's she had never put much effort into controlling her own. emily bursts out laughing "HAHAHA you totally do oh my god"
aurora groans knowing she wasn't getting out of it now "oh shut up, I'm not looking for anything right now, plus it's against the rules to date other government agents" emily smiles smugly to herself "sure sure"

pulling into a car park and the two walk into the elevator "now the go-bag essentials, at least 3 changes of clothes, they can tend to get muddy and gross, tooth brush, makeup, hair products, ummm oh I'm guessing you'll want books too, just little things you may need, hair ties and stuff. But try not to over pack because this bag will live under your desk for mornings like this when we got to go, sometimes it's not wheels up in two hours its wheels up in 20. Got it?''
she nods absorbing the information. "Got it." they open the door and she stands there for a second taking in the apartment "woah.."
she says "thankyou? it took me all weekend to sort out."
She stands there for another few seconds "I don't think I've ever seen this many plants... ever... except for that one time I went to the plant store to buy my mum a succulent."
Rory laughs at her "yea look I should probably call the girl I've hired to come over, feed pixie and water my plants whenever I go away" Emily laughs and shakes her head as she walks into the bedroom to pet pixie who still lays sleeping on the unmade bed.

"Hi Lexie, sorry to bother you at school but something came up and I might be gone for a few days, I'll leave pixie out some food and water my plants now before I leave but could you come by tomorrow? I'll let you know what time I'll be back."
hearing writing on the other end of the phone Rory smiles "yeah that's no problem, do you want me to take any pictures for you when I come?"
  "yes that would be great just one of pixie will do, just a forewarning i have plants in like every room, the watering can is on the sink all you have to do is fill it with water from the tap" she writes this down too. "yep no problems" Rory sighs in relief she was so attached to the plants already "you are the best thankyou so much!"
Rory can almost feel her smile through the phone "not a problem, bye Rory"
smiling at the sweet younger girl "bye Lexie"

hanging up the phone satisfied, and grabbing a bag from the closet and filling it with two pairs of pants, three blouses and one other blazer as well as a spare pair of boots and a comfy sweater, almost forgetting clothes to sleep in she throws them on the top. making her way to the bedroom to grab some hair ties and my makeup. Emily is still sitting the bed with pixie, the younger woman smiles at the two of them "she is so precious"
Em says from across the room, "she really is, she loves a good cuddle" zipping up the go bag and walking into the kitchen to get pixies food out and set it on the ground before refilling her water bowl. grabbing the watering can and filling it up in the sink before beginning to water all of my plants. Emily comes out of the room to make sure she had everything she needed "Rory, it's gonna take you ages to water all those will they really die if they skip a day?"
"Emily Prentiss I am taking zero chances I'm only doing the ones that will die" she calls out to her from the bathrooms, about 10 mins later she makes her way back to the kitchen grabbing a few books on the way in. when she walks through Em is standing there with her arms crossed "that was only the necessary ones?"
Rory nods insistently as the two women walk out the door, locking it after them. making their way back to the car, they have another forty minutes before the team was set to leave so they are in the clear.

the two agents walk through the glass doors into the bullpen go bags in hand. "you guys are not gonna believe how many freaking plants this girl has Jesus Christ"
Rory scoffs. " I had more in my apartment back home!"
Spence, JJ and Morgan look at us eyebrows raised "you must've been drowning in foliage then because it took you a full 10 mins just to water only the ones that wouldn't die if they aren't watered for only a day!"
Morgan and JJ howl with laughter Spence just kind of looks confused "what! I only just got them, I can't let them die!"
She objects "Rory you've hired someone to come to your place every day and water your fucking plants"
this time even spence lets out a small chuckle "oi she is also gonna be feeding my cat too thankyou very much!"
she burst out laughing, unable to hold it in anymore. Rossi walks out of his office "what's all the fuss about"
this just sends the team further into their fit of laughter, even Rory has to hold back a grin, she loves the team already. "they're making fun of me because I hired someone to water my plants and feed my cat while I'm gone"
he holds back a laugh "and just how many plants do you have kid and don't lie I know you know the exact number"
Rory looks shamefully down at her feet before mumbling "eighty three" 
"sorry what was that?" you could actually hear the laugh in his voice
"I have eighty three plants" she huffs, everyone including Rossi goes into a fit of laughter
"yeah yeah very funny, I'd like to see you lot keep a succulent alive"
but eventually she just gives in and join them laughing.

Hotch sticks his head out of his office, "ok everyone wheels up."