Chapter 37

I was in CBI's office. They finally found Ricky.

Ricky's face oddly looked familiar but I was not able to recollect.

"Have me met before Ricky?" I asked him.

Along with me, other CBI officers and Vance was also seated.

Vance was fuming with anger. If murder wasn't a crime, I am sure Ricky would have been dead by now.

Ricky started speaking after a long sigh.

"I am Professor Stephanie's Son. Joye wasn't my friend but we knew each other quite well." He said.

Oh yeah! He was an undergrad in our college.

He looked at me for more than a minute.

"Speak up! We don't have all day." Vance screamed.

Ricky was still looking at me and continued speaking.

"He loved you Ana. He loved you a lot. He was crazy. So we had a deal. Joye knew that you liked intelligent guys. So he approached me and said that if I leaked question papers to him, he would give me a lot of money. Like loads of money and I needed money so badly because I lost a lot of it in gambling." He said and bent his head.

Tears were threatening to come out of my eyes but I tried to control it.

No wonder why Joye managed to score such high grades in the later semesters.

"You people were about to attend the exams after your farewell. So as per the deal, I mailed the leaked question papers to him and was waiting for his payment. But he didn't transfer me the money. I searched for him everywhere and found him sitting right in front of your hostel. I guess he had an argument with you and was in a very bad mood. What shocked me was, he rejected the question papers and said that he didn't need them anymore as he got to know that you don't feel the same way for him. But I wanted the money very badly. He refused to do that too. I lost it! I didn't know what to do that time. So I saw that he was wearing a very expensive brand brooch. I tried to snatch it from him and runaway. But he was quick enough to grab it back from my hand. He said that the brooch was a gift from Ana and he would never let it go as that was all he had." He said.

Indeed, the brooch was in his hand when he died.

"Soon, our verbal spat turned to be a physical fight." He said and chuckled.

I looked at Vance this time. There was sadness, remorse and regret in his eyes.

"And he was not strong enough to fight anyone physically. I didn't make him as strong as me." Vance completed the sentence.

"I punched him hard, like really hard! He saw his own blood and got scared. As he was right in front of the girls' hostel, he pushed me away such that I fell on ground. Joye took the lift and reached Ana's room which was on the top floor. I took the stair case. I just didn't want to be held guilty. It was both our fault and I knew that if he reached Ana's room before me, he would tell the truth to protect himself from me. But since he went through the lift, he reached before me and started banging her door. Thankfully, she didn't open the door."

I couldn't hold it any more. I felt warm tears roll down my cheeks.

If only I would have opened the door that night, he would have been alive today.