it wasnt even a home to begin with.

" all parents damage their children. it cannot be helped. youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair. "
- mitch albom

 "- mitch albom

_

"annie! annie! annie!" a little boy cheered, tackling mary anne into a hug.

it was the summer of 95' and mary anne had came home from a sleep over at a friends house.

the little boy was her brother, thomas rogers. who was younger than mary anne by eight years, but boy were the two inseparable.

"hey tommy." she engulfs him into a hug.

eventually letting go, she sees her father leaning up against the front door frame.

this can't be good. she thought to herself.

"hey tommy, go play out back and i'll be there in a sec.." she looks down at her brother with a small smile.

"you'll be okay annie?" he whispered.

mary anne nods, and he speeds his way to the backyard.

her father walks towards her, evidently drunk and it only being noon.

"where were you?" he asks, arms crossed.

"at my friends house, i told you that."

he scoffs, "don't sass me. now get back in the house and do something!"

mary anne gulps, rolling her eyes. she walks inside of the house as her dad yells, "you never do anything! i come from work and you're not doing anything!"

usually, mary anne wasn't one to talk back to anybody, especially not her father. but she was tired of it.

"you know what? i do everything around here! you don't notice though do you? because you're a grown ass man, who has his fourteen year old daughter do your laundry! and who helps tommy with his homework? i do! and who makes sure there's food on the table? i do! it's not even my responsibility to be doing all of this! you're the parent. not me!" she snapped.

her dads eyes widened, his jaw clenching. "get out. now!"

"oh, so you're kicking me out now? what the fuck is actually wrong with you. you know what, fine! i'm going to leave. but tommy's going with me." she yelled as she went to the room her and her brother shared beginning to pack clothes into her backpack.

"tommy's not going anywhere. he's staying with me."

mary anne scoffs, "right. you can barely keep yourself in tact. i cant imagine how you're gonna do with tommy."

"leave."

her father had his hands folded into a fist, she notices so she calms down and says, "you know mom wouldn't want this..."