tension.

" the truth is that the truth is sad. "
— lemony snicket

 "— lemony snicket

___

"well, the more the merrier!" audrey cheered as she greeted spencer, he hands her the bouquet of roses with a smile.

"this is for you, ms rogers."

her mother gushes, after a bit mary anne helped set up the table with help of theodore, spencer and nate. although, all the help really wasn't necessary.

"so.." nate hummed, placing the utensils in the napkins nicely. "how long have you two been dating?"

spencer wasn't the one to give a cold shoulder, unless it was deserved. he recalls when mary anne told him about nate, and what he did. and just like theodore, he despised nate. 

"four months, one week, and three days." he responded nonchalantly as he passed out the plates in front of every seat.

nate laughs, "you remember that specifically?"

"of course he does, unlike you, he doesnt forget important dates." mary anne shrugged.

"yeah, the man is basically a genius." theodore shrugged.

"a genius?" nate scoffed, it was evident he didn't believe that.

to which mary anne added, "he has an eidetic memory, an iq of 185 and can read 200,000 words per minute."

"oh," spencer looks up to make eye contact with nate. "and don't forget the three phD's i have." (he's v humble 😇)

nate's eyes widened, somewhat intimidated. it wounded his ego, "oh cool."

"yeah, mary anne upgraded to say the least.." theodore mumbled, and before nate could ask about what he said, the parents walk in barring food. (king)

everyone had settled into their seats, and began to serve themselves food.

"so spencer, sweetheart.." audrey smiles, "how have you been?"

"really good," he nodded with a tight lip grin. "i haven't died yet so that's always nice.." (the fact that you're alive is a miracle 🧍🏻‍♀️)

everyone chuckled, the clinking of silverware as they dined into their food, and chatted amongst themselves.

there wasn't much talking between theodore, nate, spencer, and mary anne. well until, nate spoke up.

"oh wow, hey mary anne remember that time we were on a date, stargazing? we talked so much about the future.." nate said as he chewed his food. "who would've thought we wouldn't get all we talked about."

spencer almost choked on the water he was sipping, thinking to himself, really.. she's doing what she did with her ex boyfriend.. with me?

mary anne glances over at spencer, he looked wounded, didn't even bother to look up at her.