{⋅. Sixteen .⋅}

"SAPNAP!"

George's heart jumped to his throat, as be quickly charged out of the small hole in the cobbles walls.

What was going on?

Did a mob attack the two of them while their backs were turned?

Perhaps the sand caved in they fell into another ravine?

Did the compass-

No. No way it could have been the compass. Please may it not have been that stupid metal disc.

Could it have?

"DREAM! SAPNAP?"

Suddenly, there Sapnap was, standing in front of him, iron sword being raised above his head.

George held his hands up in defence, quickly shutting his eyes, preparing for a blow.

There was a quick slash, and a zombie's corpse fell down beside George. Sapnap giggled, and handed George a spider eye. George quickly threw it back, grimacing at how slimy it felt.

"What the hell!"

"I get the bed tonight!" He cheered.

"Where's Dream?" George turned in a slow circle. "Where's Dream Sapnap?"

"R-right here!"

Dream staggered up behind Sapnap and slapped him across the face. Sapnap didn't mind, instead he burst out in laughter.

"SAPNAP YOU LIT-"

"What'd he do?"

Dream rolled his eyes and cross his arms, a pissed off look scribbled over his face.

"This little twat pushed me over, and then stole the spider eye from my hand!"

Sapnap was bent over, still laughing. George raised an eyebrow and let out a small chuckle.

"Twat? That's a new one."

"Oh shut up."

The three of them eventually got back to their cobble hut. Sapnap bounded straight into bed and rolled over into the sheets, asleep in seconds.

Dream scoffed and rolled his eyes at the bed.

"That man didn't even have dinner."

George sighed and scuffled over to the furnaces, their fires already diminished.

"Shucks, we are gonna have to deal with a moody, hungry Sapnap tomorrow morning."

"We already deal with a moody, hungry Sapnap every morning. Tomorrow it's just gonna be amplified."

"Sounds fun."

"You are mistaken."

The smaller laughed, and tossed Dream some cooked chicken and bread. The two are in silence, nothing but Sapnaps soft snores filling the small space.

"This chicken is kinda good tho."

"I take great joy in that compliment."

Stomachs full, the two settled down upon the colourless, gritty sand for a horrible sleep.

"Ya know..." George said, staring up at the ceiling. "I think I'd rather sleep on a dirt floor the sand."

"I totally agree."

"Wait why don't we just change out the floor to dirt."

There was a small beat of silence. Dream clicked his tongue and sat up.

"Yeah we could do that."

Flash forward 5 minutes, the boys were now settling in on a dirt floor, staring up at the stone ceiling, the room filled with a warm glow.

"Ya know Dream?"

"What?"

"Out of all the people I could have gotten stuck with... I'm glad it was you and Sapnap."

"... that sounds so cheesy."

"...I changed my mind."

Dream let out his signature kettle wheeze, and rolled over to look at George, who was laying on his back and staring up at the roof.

"Well, be glad that I'm glad that I'm stuck with you two idiots as well."

𑁍

Just as Dream and George predicted, they woke up to a complaining moody Sapnap demanding for food.

After fulfilling the child's request, they begun to back everything up.

"Keep the shack." Sapnap said, patting the stone walls. "It's kind of a like a monument."

"Real symbolic this is." George commented, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

"I'm sure. It must look like a mountain from where you are standing."

"Are you implying... that I'm short!"

"How's the view down there short stuff? What can you see?"

George scowled and crossed his arms, glaring at Sapnap with an anger that could light a nether portal.

"Well, I can see your IQ."

Off in the distance, Dream sighed, and went back to organizing his inventory. Throwing out things he didn't need and moving things around.

"Idiots." He muttered. "Those guys are absolute idiots."

As Dream continued to shuffle things around, his concerns and fears heightened. The nether was dangerous, no doubt about it. With oceans of lava, and the different mobs out to get them, it was going to be hard for sure.

Wonder if it was the new nether?

Kinda hoped it wasn't.

He finally stood up, a jittery feeling in his chest. Hammering against his rip cage, trying to crawl out and escape. It like was butterfly's, but he wasn't feeling nervous about someone... it was something.

The nether.

Was he ready? Dream shook his head, and started walking back to George and Sapnap.

No. One could never truly be ready for the nether.

Especially not in real life.

◦𑁍◦

Congrats on reading Chapter Sixteen!

Some days, I have a lot to say I these author comments.

Other days, I've got absolutely nothing.

Today is one of those days where I kind of just slap something down at the end and call it a day.

All my best,
»» Citlali ««