{⋅. Thirty-One .⋅}

George collapsed onto the floor, wincing in the additional pain. He had just fell through the floor, and the light from above was sealed off.

Before being pulled up by a different pair of hands.

George caught a glimpse of his hands as he was yanked up. They were pale and grey, and was he hallucinating? Or did his skin seem to be flaking?

"George I'm really sorry but we gotta move!"

George blinked up, flinching as another wave of pain from the wither effect came over him.

"Dream?"

The man in question nodded, grabbing George's hands and pulling him towards a small hole that lead out of the small room craved unnaturally into a pillar that held the fortress up.

"Here."

He was tossed a pair of honey coloured boots, which he swapped out his iron ones with slowly, with the help of Dream.

Wincing at another wave of pain, George peeled up, to see a golden helmet settled on top of Dreams head like a crown.

"Do you have enough blaze rods."

George nodded, weak from the pain and slightly irresponsive.

"Okay, lets go."

They hopped down a staircase, carved into the side of the pillar, definitely created by Dream, and touched down onto the netherack. 

The pain was wearing off on George, the new waves coming in becoming weaker and weaker, which was nice. He chomped in his steak, not realizing how hungry he was and admiring the normal skin colour that was slowly returning back to him.

The two rushed along together, towards the general direction nether portal, George still slightly limping.

"Where did you go?"

Dream perked up, looking over at his friend.

"Tried to get Sapnap away, but failed miserably. Got shot by things. I'm fine now!" He added seeing George's eyebrows jump up.

"That's dangerous Dream!"

"Dangerous is my middle name!"

George scoffed.

"This isn't a joking matter Dream. You could have died! Did you go into the soulsand valley?"

"Yeah but-"

"Dream you can hardly move there, we don't know how close to death you were... or are!"

Dream rolled his eyes, waking backwards to glare at George.

"Oh come on, do you really not think I can do this?"

George looked exasperated, like he wanted to desperately to convince his friend to slow down and be more careful... but at the same time wanting him to take the risks he knew he himself couldn't do.

"Dream this isn't about what you can and can't do... it's about how you do it. If you keep doing things in such a careless way-"

"George I'm fine! Your not my mom!"

"No I'm not, but I'm the closest thing you've got to one here!"

"George! Stop babying me!"

"Stop throwing yourself in danger then!"

The two were yelling at each other now, still walking, eye line connected with a passion.

"You also shouldn't have thrown yourself in danger back there with Sapnap!"

"Thrown myself! I hardly had a choice! That man was out of a horror story!"

"Oh come on. You could have taken a more safe approach!"

"Like WHAT? What other approach could I have done!"

They were starting to shout themselves hoarse. A nearby flock of zombified piglins tilted their heads at the two in curiosity. Their normal ancestors, piglins, simply held their crossbows to their sides, satisfied with the golden glare reflecting off the boots and crown from the males.

"You could have tried to find me!"

"Hah! You are the one who left me in the first place!"

"For good reason George!"

The argument was pointless. And they both knew it.

Perhaps it was just the bottled up frustration and stress from being in the game that finally exploded for the two. Or maybe it was just because they wanted to feel some other emotion besides relief, fear, worry or frustration.

They didn't notice a thin mist roll in around them, a cyan tint, and the sudden change into foliage when the netherack turned a mushy tinted green blue.

Dream was the first to take note of this, when he almost smashed into a tree.

A tree?

Dream shook his head and his eyes went to scan his surroundings, tuning out George's whining and baby talk.

He couldn't see the nether roof anymore. All he could see was a strange cyan block, looking squishy to the touch, lay like a canopy above.

The trunks were... strange. It was like someone had taken a log, changed it's colour and infused it with golden blue bloodstreams.

"George."

George had noticed the significant change in colouring and vibrance at this point too.

"Dream?"

Taking a deep breath, they looked around.

"This isn't the way back to the portal... I don't even think we've seen this before."

◦𑁍◦

Sapnap sat above the canopy, chucking and swinging his sword back and forth as he listened to the bicker below him.

He had snuck around the two and managed to get ahead and above, putting him at quite the advantage.

A sly smile crept across his face.

"Geez" he muttered. "They fight like an old pair of grandparents."

He rolled his eyes, and sank down further into the branches before slipping them closed.

"The least they could do is make the argument actually entertaining!"

◦𑁍◦

Congrats on reading the Chapter Thirty-One!

I feel like this book is getting too thick... just me?

Also Dream used another one of my ideas for this book but screw it it's still going in just written differently you can't stop me.

Let's just hope our brains don't connect again.

Also... according to Wattpad statistics, only a small percentage of you are voting. So vote or you will never stop hiccuping for the rest of your life.

All my best,
»» ITᒪᗩᒪI ««