6. A New Familial

(997 words)

'Come on, Potter,' Draco drawled.

'Where are we going?'

'Hogsmeade but maybe further afield if unsuccessful.'

They trudged through the snow. Draco was certain this was the right thing to do but he didn't want to tell Potter in case he refused.

At the door of Knighton's Bird Boutique, Potter paled and stuttered 'no!'

'Yes, Potter. It's time. You're not replacing Hedwig but you can love another familial. Besides,' he coaxed. 'How am I supposed to communicate with you over Christmas while I'm with mother?'

Potter reluctantly pushed open the door and they meandered between the cages.

'Have you ever lost a pet, Malfoy?' Potter was clearly upset.

'A kitten called Luther. I found him in one of our barns. I was about eight. I loved him so much and we used to go everywhere together. Father thought it was terribly undignified.'

'What happened?'

'He went missing after about a year. I was inconsolable. Mother suggested he'd probably run away because he'd started life as a feral. I hunted for him for days.'

'Your father?' Potter looked like he was blaming Lucius for Luther's disappearance.

'Cold and heartless.' Draco wouldn't admit he suspected his father. He fished out his wallet and withdrew a photograph.

'Look at you! You're sooo cute...'

'Fuck off, Potter.' He snatched the photo back. 'Come on, there's obviously nothing suitable here.'

Draco side-alonged them to The Shambles in York.

'Aren't these muggle shops?' Potter asked.

'Yes...'

But in between the higgledy-piggledy medieval shops were strange doors which wavered under their Muggle-Repellent Charms. A bell tinkled as Draco lead Potter into Dourado's Bazaar. Inside, the shop was dark and disappeared between aisles of cages and tanks. It smelt of warm dry sawdust.

'Best shop in Europe,' Draco whispered. He always felt the need to speak quietly here.

A small mousey-looking man bustled forward, bowing slightly. 'Mr Malfoy, a pleasure, as always. And Mr Potter, what an honour...'

'Hello, Mr Dourado, er, you seem to bleeding... a lot...'

'Oh,' he pinched his finger. 'Young Valpus, he really doesn't like me. Now, what can I do for you two?'

'We're looking for an owl but not a Snowy.'

'How exciting! Come this way.'

Potter seemed uninterested until he stopped in front of a small speckled brown owl. It was sitting on the sawdust in the bottom of its cage and looked particularly disgruntled.

Dourado sighed. 'That's Valpus. Most unsuitable for you, Mr Potter. Come along, I have a magnificent Eagle Owl this way.

Potter didn't move. He was having a staring competition with Valpus, who finally blinked and bobbed his head to display a white chin patch.

'I'll take him,' said Potter.

'Surely not! Western Burrowing Owls are most anti-sociable and he'll refuse to stay in the Owlery at Hogwarts because he'll want to burrow, probably under your bed...'

'I'll take him.'

The owl made a chattering sound and hopped towards Potter.

'Well, I never' said Dourado. 'He's never made a call before.'

Potter opened the cage door and the owl fluttered onto his outstretched arm.

Draco said, 'I hope he won't draw blood when he delivers post to me. Assuming he can fly that far.'

Valpus's white eyebrows drew together.

Potter said seriously, 'you won't, will you, Valpus? Otherwise I'll be most disappointed.'

Valpus looked contrite and Draco understood: surely there was nothing worse than disappointing Potter?

'Good, that's settled then. I'll buy a cage and some treats too.'

As they were leaving, Potter stopped. 'Look!' He pointed to a low glass run in the corner. 'You should get a familial too, Malfoy.' He set his cage down on the floor and Valpus flew from his shoulder to the handle and waited.

At the sight of eight grey kneazle-kittens, Draco suddenly felt horribly gooey and soft inside. He failed miserably at sneering and leant down. One of them, with a white nose and bib, rolled over playfully.

He was smitten.

Dourado was beside them in seconds. 'They're all sold apart from the boy there and the runt at the back.'

Draco looked at the small tabby-marked girl sitting neatly at the back, she looked worried.

Valpus hooted.

'We'll take them both,' Potter said. 'Are they ready to re-home?'

Dourado nodded, 'yes, eight weeks yesterday.'

Draco thought he might actually cry because his chest felt so tight. He turned aside to pull himself together, then said, 'come on, little princess.'

She scampered clumsily forward, her little tail rigidly upright. The boy rolled again, making eyes at Draco. 'You too, pickle,' he smiled.

They Apparated back to Hogsmeade, each holding a kitten firmly tucked inside their coats. Potter had let Valpus fly ahead.

When they reached the Hogwarts' gates, McGonagall was waiting for them.

'Gentlemen,' she said with a hard stare. 'I hardly need to remind you that I should always be informed when you go beyond the boundaries of the school and Hogsmeade. It does not do to lose the Saviour of the Wizarding World while he is under one's care.'

Draco's heart sunk; they must have assumed that Potter'd been kidnapped by a Death Eater. 'Sorry,' he stuttered.

'You both have deten...

Pickle wiggled in Draco's grip and gave a little mewl.

McGonagall's eyes immediately softened. 'Oh! Oh!' she said. 'May I?'

Potter handed her Princess, his green eyes twinkling.

'She's beautiful.' Princess looked up at her with large grey eyes and McGonagall tickled her chin.

McGonagall fussed Princess all the way back to the castle. When Valpas joined them at the door and landed on Potter's shoulder, she rolled her eyes and handed Princess back to Draco. 'A Burrowing Owl, Mr Potter, how typically obstinate of you. I'll ask Filch to create an area at the base of the Owlery.'

'There's no need, Headmistress, he can stay with me.'

'Birds are not permitted to stay in the dormitories, Mr Potter,' McGonagall pursed her lips but as she headed in the direction of her office, Draco heard her mutter, 'that boy gets away with murder...'

*****