59. Ask no questions...

(999 words)

Harry was woken up to the smell of fresh coffee and warm croissants as Draco put the tray down next to him.

'Hmmm, smells good.' He stretched languidly.

'Good. Eat your breakfast before it gets cold, I'm getting in the shower.'

'I could join you...' he suggested.

'We're going out,' Draco shouted over his shoulder.

'Where?' but Draco didn't answer and Harry heard the shower switch on.

When he pulled the tray onto his lap he raised an eyebrow questioningly because there was also a stem of cherry blossom and a postcard.

'It was Valentine's Day two months ago. What am I missing, Princess?'

She just rolled onto her back for attention.

The postcard showed a picture of a castle which reminded him of Hogwarts and on the other side it said: Ask no questions and I'll tell no lies. Wrap up warm. Dxx

Harry was bemused but ate his croissants and finished his coffee and went to see if Draco had finished.

At the sight of his naked boyfriend under the steamy water, he said, 'have I got time to join you?'

'I said ask no questions...'

If that was the rule, then he would abide but... 'If I can't ask any questions today, then I challenge you not to either, it's only fair.'

Draco stopped as he escaped the shower. 'But...'

'I shall think of a severe punishment if you break the rules,' Harry grinned lasciviously.

'Fine,' Draco drawled, for when could he resist a challenge from Harry. 'Hurry up!'

Harry wondered what Draco was up to but knew that when he was determined, well, there was no stopping him.

After showering, he fished out Draco's orange Weasley jumper, mostly because he liked it but also because it was warm. Draco only raised a discerning eyebrow and told Harry to grab his winter coat and hat before snatching up his rucksack and Apparating them to the castle on the postcard.

A white mist drifted across the grounds so the castle grew out pastel-green lawns amongst deep-green trees but Draco led them into the gardens first.

'Apparently, we have to find the cherry orchard.'

They meandered past the tiered fountains to a footpath that led into the orchard.

'Look!' Harry exclaimed, overwhelmed by the sight of heavily-blossomed trees and double-seated swings tucked amongst the rows.

Draco smiled. 'Sit with me a moment,' he said and pulled out of his rucksack the faux-fur throw he'd taken from the sitting room.

Harry watched closely, concerned about how pale Draco was and noticing a slight shake in his hands. He pulled Draco against him as they snuggled back in the seat and gently swung back and forth in the cold Spring sun.

'You'll tell me, if something's wrong,' Harry said.

'Nothing's wrong,' Draco said and he turned his head to kiss Harry. 'Though I was thinking...'

'Yes,' Harry said.

'I was thinking, although we've only been officially together for about seventeen months... it feels much longer. I suppose I feel like we've been together since year eight. I mean, there hasn't been anyone else in all that time.'

Draco sighed, appearing to be lost in thought and Harry couldn't help feeling slightly worried. There was a strange air of anticipation but he couldn't place his finger on it. He waited.

'I can't remember being so content, even as a child. I feel at peace with you, like we fit together...'

Draco sat up and swivelled on the bench so he faced Harry. 'In Thailand, you proposed... albeit very lazily and half-heartedly...'

'It wasn't half-hearted, I meant every word.'

'I know.'

'You didn't say yes.'

'I didn't say no either.'

Harry smiled, 'I know.'

Draco took hold of his hands, watching their fingers intently as he intertwined them. 'You've made this very hard for me, challenging me not to ask any questions today. I was going to reiterate a rather important one.'

Harry was grinning foolishly when Draco looked up at him.

'Stop it! This was supposed to be romantic and special.'

'It is.'

'You'd better say yes because I had some rings made...'

'Yes.'

'Do you want to see them then?'

'Aha!'

'What?'

'That's two questions and I can spend the rest of the day contemplating your punishment.'

'Oh, fuck off, do you want to see them?'

'Third question and yes!'

'It's not, that was a reiteration...'

Draco reached in his pocket and pulled out a small cream box and handed it to Harry, a pink blush ghosting his cheeks. And although Harry took the box, he also hooked a finger under Draco's chin and leant forward to kiss him.

'Thank you,' he said quietly.

'Open it then!' Draco huffed.

Inside, two flat broad platinum rings lay on the cushion. Both were engraved with fir trees all the way around in a fashion which reminded Harry of the Forbidden Forest. 'Our first date...' he muttered.

'What?'

'In the Forbidden Forest with Fang! And that's another question...'

'Stop it!' Draco carefully untied the ribbon that held the rings in the box and picked out one. 'They each have a moon; I hope you approve.' And Draco took Harry's left hand and slid the ring onto Harry's ring finger. As it magically resized, Draco turned it so a small grey diamond was visible, it was inset into the metal above the treeline.

Harry wasn't sure if his smile could get any bigger. 'It's beautiful. And yours...' It was Harry's turn to undo the ribbon and slide the ring onto Draco's ring finger. Like its counterpart, it had a small gemstone set into the metal, this one an emerald. He leant forward and kissed Draco again. 'Thank you,' he said. He pulled Draco back against his chest so he could snuggle against his jumper under the blanket. And as they watched the sun slowly burn away the silvery mist the hung in the valley, and as the blossom fluttered to the ground around them, Harry wondered if it was actually possible to be any happier than he was at that moment.

*****

A/N In case you're wondering, the setting is Alnwick Castle and Gardens. The castle courtyards, lawns, battlements, and grounds were used in the films for Hogwarts and they built the Quidditch pitch just beneath the castle. There is an annual cherry blossom festival in the gardens (see photo above).

Inspiration for ring design: