12. Truth or Dare

A/N In this story I am using one of my favourite OCs called Peanut. I have created Peanut from an original Harry Potter character called Fay Dunbar (she is a minor character in both the books and films). I use Peanut in two other stories: a one shot called 'The Bodyguard' and a longer story 'Letters' – the three stories are not connected in anyway apart from the use of this character whose backstory remains consistent.

(998 words)

Fay Dunbar had been called a Mouse amongst Lions yet she had been Sorted into Gryffindor for a reason. When she lost half her right leg during the Battle of Hogwarts, she pulled herself up like a giant; she wasn't going to let a small thing like that hold her back.

She liked their small year group, despite considering herself an outsider, and was delighted to find a true friend in Padma. But she was somewhat self-conscious that Blaise Zabini, a man with a considerable reputation, had been paying her attention and, some reason, had taken to calling her Peanut; a nickname adopted by everyone else. She confided in Padma that she'd developed a crush on Blaise.

It was with a flutter in her heart that she found herself sitting with him one evening discussing the 'Drarry' situation.

'Do you think they realise at all?' she asked, looking into his handsome brown eyes.

'Not a clue,' he said fondly. 'But if one thinks about it, the signs have always been there. Dray did so like to pull Potter's metaphorical pigtails.'

'Do you think we should give them a nudge?'

'A few years ago, I'd have said yes, for the laugh...'

Her breath hitched because Blaise was idly playing with the hem of her hoodie. She silently chastised herself because someone like her didn't snag someone like him.

'...but now, I'm not so sure. Potter is obviously oblivious and Dray won't admit it to himself. Granger thinks we shouldn't push them into something they're not ready for.'

'Oh,' she was disappointed. 'I was going to suggest a party and a game of Truth or Dare...'

Blaise had a glint in his eyes. It made her think 'oh yes!'. No wonder he left a trail of broken hearts behind him.

'A woman after my heart. There's still no reason why we shouldn't have a bit of fun.' He announced loudly, 'Peanut has suggested we have a party. I vote this Saturday.'

'Yes!' Seamus fist pumped. 'I'll sort the booze...'

Saturday came quickly. The furniture was pushed back, Ernie sorted the music, Seamus procured enough alcohol to drown a Quidditch team, Blaise dimmed the lights... and didn't leave her side.

'When are we going to play Truth or Dare,' he whispered into her ear. She shivered but ignored it, instead looking across the room.

'Look at them,' she said.

Harry and Draco were utterly absorbed in one another. For some reason, Harry's peculiar Owl was sitting on his shoulder and he looked like a pirate. He was wearing his leather trousers; it was common-knowledge in the year that Draco had chosen them for him. It was also well-known that Draco couldn't keep his eyes of Harry when he wore them. Their obliviousness was frustrating.

Blaise tucked a piece of her long brown hair behind her ear. 'I'd prefer to look at you.'

'Keep looking, babe, but no touching,' she taunted and held up a vial of Veritaserum, waggling it tantalisingly.

He grinned and made the announcement.

In Peanut's experience, any game of Truth or Dare degenerated quickly into uncomfortable truths and sexual dares. However, the game seemed staid, maybe because there was this unspoken rule that no one was to force Draco and Harry together.

It started with the normal challenges like 'your most embarrassing story,' and 'do an impression of a monkey'. Progressively, people got more daring: Neville told about losing his virginity; she removed her prosthetic limb and it got passed around. However, it never went beyond Pansy giving a red-faced Ron a lap-dance. Whenever the bottle pointed to Harry or Draco things immediately fell flat.

Then Terry asked Draco, 'What have you always wanted to do after Hogwarts?'

Everything went a quiet and uncomfortable. It was an off-limits topic considering Draco's past.

Draco answered, with a miserable look on his face, 'I wanted to be an Auror.'

Everyone looked surprised. Peanut found herself overwhelmed with sympathy.

She couldn't help piping up, 'me too. Since Professor Lupin taught us.'

'At least you've not got Death Eater on your C.V.'

'At least you've got two legs,' she responded.

Harry reached out and gave Draco's knee a comforting squeeze. 'Ex-Death Eater,' he said quietly. 'It doesn't mean you shouldn't try. We all make mistakes.'

Maybe 'mistake' was an understatement, but Peanut also understood, they all understood, that Draco hadn't had a choice. She was saddened by the unfairness of life.

'If I'm going to try, you should too,' she challenged.

'I'll do everything in my power to support you both,' Harry said.

She knew what that meant. 'I don't want the system bending because Harry Potter says.'

'What if the system needs bending?' Harry argued. 'You two might be the best applicants, you shouldn't be judged on the past or because you've a limb missing.'

'I might be considered a liability.'

'No one will know until you've tried.'

'Oh, I'm going to try.'

'Good,' Harry said.

Blaise smiled proudly.

They all discussed career choices and she was surprised that Blaise wanted to be Healer, she thought it showed a caring side that belied his previous playboy reputation.

Slowly they returned to the game but there wasn't much heart in it, until one Padma Patil spun the bottle and it landed on Blaise. When Blaise answered 'Dare', Padma smiled sweetly and said, 'I dare you to kiss Peanut!'

Blaise looked at Peanut intently and her mouth went dry. She couldn't decipher his expression. But then he leant close to her and gently cupped her face. Her heart beat slightly faster than she would have liked.

'Peanut, I like you,' he looked her in the eyes. 'I mean really, really like you, and this isn't how I wanted us to have our first kiss.' She realised with a hitch of breath that the Veritaserum meant he told the truth.

His hands ran into her hair at the nape of her neck and he pulled her forward, stooping slightly as he kissed her deeply.

*****