23. An Auror Training Exercise

(1000 words)

They sat in Room S1 as Booth briefed them on their first night-time training mission. They were split into two teams; Ron was leading the other group of Malfoy, Laura and Nev. They were in competition with each other and pitted against their Auror Trainers.

'Off you go!' dismissed Booth. 'Remember, enemies'll be wearing red armbands.'

Sakura softly gripped Harry's arm before they charged from the room.

'Look at the whiteboard,' she said quietly.

Booth had not referred to the whiteboard at any time.

4'11" Sakura had proved herself a formidable team-member. She was a Sensei in Ninjutsu and had taken it upon herself to teach her fellow trainees too. Booth was impressed. 'You may be the first lot to all pass...' he'd muttered more than once.

Harry looked at the whiteboard and read: Be aware of false trails! Be aware of not having all the information! Do not leave this room before you have assessed all the information available to you!

'Do you have more info?' Harry turned on Booth whose eyes sparkled.

'Possibly, Golden B's,' he grinned. 'How do you intend on finding out?'

Emilé was up and striding across the room. 'Are we going to do this the nice way or my way?' he said quietly. It was surprisingly threatening.

Booth grinned, 'I'd really like to play this out, Frenchie, to see where you take this, but I'll cooperate.' He went to the briefcase idly placed in the corner and took out more papers.

'Is there anything else?' asked Peanut, she was scanning the room as she spoke and went over to the wall. 'Harry, this map wasn't here before.'

Emilé joined her, 'three red circles.' He went to take it down but Booth stopped him.

'The map stays, for if the other team return safely.'

That made Harry's heart thump a little.

Sakura and Harry compared the paperwork.

'There,' Harry pointed. 'That wasn't mentioned. That's the cathedral. That one's the deserted warehouse, probably where Ron's dashed off too. This third one's described as a fortified camp. What can you tell us about this camp?' Harry turned to Booth.

'There's a meeting planned there tonight at twenty-two hundred hours. Your instructions are to Apparate in, reconnaissance only, do not engage, do not be seen or heard. I will be observing. You'll report back here at twenty-three hundred hours to receive further instructions.'

Harry cast a Tempus. 'We have ninety-three minutes exactly.'

Sakura said, 'from my calculations, the Apparation point is a twenty-minute run from the camp.'

Emilé studied the map, 'best reconnaissance point is on the east side.'

'Right, full black op,' said Harry. Their clothing transfigured to Vantablack material. 'Let's go.'

Booth smiled happily.

When they landed, Harry cloaked them with Silencing and Disillusionment Charms and the four set off at a light run.

They felt the Repelling Wards as they closed in.

Harry paused, 'you lead from here, Emilé.'

'Be prepared for sentinels on the observation point. If occupied, there's another point further north.'

'Okay, proceed with caution.'

They moved silently. There were, indeed, two Aurors with red armbands at the observation point. They skirted past until they reached Emilé's alternative position. Lying in long grass that overlooked the camp, they saw two more people plus Booth with his clipboard. Harry's Homonculous Charm revealed two further sentinels on the west side.

Sakura cast an eavesdropping spell and they listened in. They heard that hostages were being brought to the camp. After five minutes, two more 'enemies' Apparated in, roughly handling four restrained hostages who had sacks over their heads.

Harry knew he shouldn't react but he couldn't help it, especially when the head coverings were removed and he saw who it was. Ron looked pissed; Nev, dejected; Laura, angry. But Malfoy was calmly watching the darkness, it was almost as if he could sense Harry.

The team looked at Harry.

'Do we rescue them, H? Booth said not to engage,' whispered Peanut.

It was like the bloody Tri-Wizard Tournament all over again.

'There was a note at the end of the paperwork, our next mission is a rescue mission.' Harry couldn't help his hero complex anyway, 'I say yes. First, we take out the sentinels.'

'What about Wards?' asked Sakura.

'We'll deal with them after.' All the time he was talking, Harry was looking at the camp, at Malfoy. 'Split, two on two, wordless Stun and Incarcerous so no warnings given to the camp. Swift and clean, reassemble here in five minutes. Peanut with me. Sakura and Emilé.'

The unsuspecting sentinels were surprisingly easy to deal with.

When they reassembled, Peanut voiced her concern. 'It might it be a trap, maybe Polyjuice.'

Harry concentrated for a moment as he watched Malfoy. That you? He projected, not sure if it would work. He felt Malfoy throw up an Occlumency shield. Not delving, just want to be sure.

Potter!

Harry smiled.

How?

Thought rudimentary Legilimens possible.

What planning?

Rescue. How many them?

Four in camp, plus Booth. Four on perimeter.

Perimeter four already disabled.

Ha! Aurors Renton and Rickshaw arguing how defend rescue attempt.

Guess about to find out.

Get moving! Want make Weasel vomit slugs for week. Led us straight into obvious ambush. Absolute fucking balls-up.

Harry grinned, 'definitely not Polyjuice. Get the Wards disabled.'

'How do you know...' Peanut looked at Harry and then Malfoy in realisation. 'Really? That's some connection you two have.'

Potter! Three-layered Ward, need disable in reverse, alarm will go off.

'Emilé! Sakura! Ward needs disabling in reverse order. Alarmed whatever. When we drop the alarm, use the confusion to infiltrate, retrieve, exit. Rendezvous back at S1. I'll leave last with Malfoy.'

Harry gave the signal. The alarms sounded but the Aurors were disarmed and stunned by a barrage of spells and Harry sprinted straight to Malfoy. He heaved him up, his wrists and ankles still bound; he saw Sakura, Emilé, and Peanut Disapparate away with Ron, Nev, and Laura, and he followed suit, holding Malfoy very tightly against him in relief.

*****