40. A few more oblivious and frustrating moments...

(999 words)

Draco decided he needed to tell Potter.

Before, when he'd thought it was just a crush, just desire, something he'd get over soon enough, well, that was okay to ignore. For surely, we can look at someone and find them attractive but move on. But since he'd realised that he actually loved Potter. Well, that changed matters.

The problem was finding the opportunity.

And coping with Potter's obliviousness.

Even if it was so utterly endearing.

He wondered if today was the day and it was with a slightly nervous stomach that he got into Potter's car and they drove across London to Aunt Andy's. They were spending the day with Teddy.

He looked at Potter beside him, concentrating as he pulled out onto a roundabout. He resisted the temptation to reach out and push back a piece of errant hair which kept flopping forward.

He cast an eye over what Potter was wearing. He'd persuaded him to drag out his leather trousers again because, Draco covered the little smile which quirked at his lips, because he thought Potter looked damned sexy in them, not that he'd said it as blatantly as that, it was more of a 'you should wear these more often, they show off your muscular arse superbly.'

Potter had rolled his eyes and whipped them out of Draco's hands and said, 'I bow to your superior knowledge of my wardrobe...'

He wondered why Potter didn't even register that Draco had complimented his muscular arse, let alone acknowledge that his bestfriend spent time contemplating him in leather trousers.

Anyway, Potter had worn said trousers with a soft marl-grey jumper. Although, having lounged on Potter's bed, watching him get dressed, and covertly admiring his toned abs again; Draco would have been quite happy for him to go without a top at all. Sometimes you had to take every opportunity.

'Do you ever think about having someone in your life...' Draco said nervously.

'I've got lots of people in my life,' Potter said as he clicked the indicator to turn off the ring road towards Wandsworth.

'I mean someone special, a partner...'

Potter shrugged, 'bit busy.' He swore at someone who cut him up.

There was silence for a while.

'Have you met someone?' Potter suddenly asked, glancing sideways at Draco, his eyes surprisingly fiery.

'If you think about it, Potter, I spend all my time with you, not that I'm complaining about that, I like spending all my time with you, I like...' Draco's voice faded, '...it,' he finished feebly. He berated himself for being a chicken.

'You don't need my permission to do your own thing, to go out and meet with someone else or something,' Potter said sharply.

'I don't want to meet someone else...'

'Oh,' Potter said as he indicated to turn into Andy's road. 'So, what do you want?'

'Nothing...' Draco mumbled as Potter parked up on Andy's gravel driveway.

'Potter?' he said quietly as the other man strode towards the front door.

'Yep?'

Draco took a deep breath, 'just come here a second.'

'But Teddy...'

'This is important...'

Potter turned around and Draco stepped close, looking into those green eyes. He really could get lost in them. He reached up to push back the lock of hair which kept falling forward.

'Are you alright, Malfoy, you look a bit pale?'

'I'm fine, it's just I wanted to say, to tell you that I really like...'

The front door opened and Andy stood there with Teddy in her arms. She was in her dressing gown, with unkempt hair and a rheumy nose. She looked dreadful.

'...oh, Aunt Andy!' he exclaimed.

'It's just a cold. Teddy brought it back from nursery,' she sneezed. 'Don't come close, just take Teddy and I'll go back to bed.'

Teddy wriggled out of her arms, 'Uncle Harry! Draco!' He immediately wanted to be picked up by Potter. The idolisation was ridiculous, Draco thought slightly jealously.

'We'll take him to the park and out for lunch,' Potter said with a grin.

'Icecream too?' asked Teddy.

'Maybe, if you're a good boy.'

I'm a good boy, Draco thought petulantly. Why can't Potter give me what I want?

They were by the swings; Potter gently pushing Teddy as Draco leant against the frame.

'Potter,' he said. 'What would you do if you really liked someone but didn't know how to tell them?'

'I just tell 'em,' Teddy piped up. 'That's what I do when I want to be friends. Higher, Harry.'

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to be discussing this in front of Teddy.

After lunch, they all sat on a bench finishing their icecreams, Teddy in the middle. When Draco looked across at Potter, he had chocolate moustache. Teddy had a big smear of chocolate icecream on his nose too. Draco smiled fondly at them both.

'Teddy!' he said, and bent down to jokingly kiss his nose, then he rubbed the icecream away.

'Do it to Harry too!' Teddy giggled as he swiped at his nose.

Draco flustered as Harry quirked an eyebrow.

'Oh gosh,' said a woman to her friend as they walked past. 'What an adorable family!'

Draco flustered even more.

'You alright, Malfoy?' Potter said as Teddy ran off to chase some pigeons.

'Fine!'

'You would tell me, wouldn't you, if there was something on your mind.'

I been trying... thought Draco. He nodded.

'I think we should have Teddy sleepover to give Andy a break.'

'Yes,' Draco's heart sank.

'What's the matter?'

'I was thinking about going out for a meal.'

'I don't mind. I'll look after him by myself.'

'With you, you great oaf!'

'Oh, what's the occasion?'

Draco sighed, 'nothing...'

'Another time then? So, what were you trying to tell me, outside Andy's?'

Draco took a deep breath, just say it, he thought as he looked into those emerald green eyes. 'That I...'

Harry was leaping up because Teddy had fallen over.

'...love you,' he finished quietly. Draco sighed again. Another time indeed.

*****