47. He Always Carries You

(999 words)

Draco took his breakfast up to the sitting room. 'What are you watching?' he asked Blaise as he sunk into the sofa.

'Weird shit! These are actual muggles and they're really angry at each other. They're in the telly-box to take a lie-thing like Veritaserum ...'

'...why?'

'This woman wants that man to prove he's not sleeping with her sister...'

'THERE'S NO FUCKING MILK LEFT...' came a frustrated shout from the kitchen.

Blaise looked at the cereal bowl in Draco's hands.

'WHO FINISHED ALL THE BLOODY BREAD...' Harry swore. 'AND THE FUCKING COFFEE... ARGH!'

Blaise raised an eyebrow.

'What?'

'Dray, have you ever replaced anything when you've finished it?'

Draco was confused.

'House rule...' Blaise muttered. 'You finish it, you get more in...'

'What?'

'Salazar, you don't even realise...'

'What do you mean?'

'Potter; he always carries you, does your share of things about the house, picks up, tidies up, shops for you. Have you even ever thought about it?'

'But... I always put my money in the kitty...'

'And how does it get from being in the kitty to actual food in the cupboard?'

'Er...' Draco suddenly felt mortified and very guilty. And he hadn't even thought about Harry having breakfast once he'd finished in the shower. He'd just come down and helped himself.

He felt his back pocket for his wallet, he knew he had some muggle money in it. 'Give this to Harry.' And he shoved his plate of toast and the cup of coffee towards Blaise and rushed out.

There was an express supermarket nearby. He wasn't entirely sure which brands to buy but he picked ones that looked recognisable, and he was fairly certain the milk had a green top, though he really didn't know what the difference was between the colours.

As he walked down the busy high street, he thought about how he'd have to amend his ways; he'd already changed so much but he guessed he'd slipped into the old ways of not having to think about anything.

He idly watched a woman in front of him with a pram, shopping bags, and two children by her side.

'Mummy, mummy,' the boy tugged on her sleeve. Draco reckoned he must be about seven. 'Can I press the button?'

'Yes, darling. But don't cross until I'm next to you.'

The boy ran ahead to the pelican crossing and pressed the button. Draco thought he was rather cute, like an older Teddy with sandy hair and an equally cheeky grin. Draco suddenly wondered if Harry ever wanted kids.

The pelican lights began beeping.

'Can I cross, mummy?' the boy called.

It happened so fast.

'TOBY!!'

Draco dropped his shopping and ran forward just the boy was thrown over the car bonnet by the impact. He was too slow to cast a spell to cushion the sickening crunch of the collision. And what was he supposed to do? He was surrounded by muggles. He'd be breaking the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy.

'Don't move him!' Draco shouted as the mother tried to lift the crying boy.

Draco was beside himself. Why didn't he see it was going to happen? Why hadn't he protected the child?

He sent a discreet Patronus to Blaise, at least it wouldn't appear until the sitting room.

'I can't leave him in the road,' she sobbed as she held her son. Draco nodded and lifted him out of her arms. He felt the boy grip his jumper tightly.

'Toby, I'm Dray. I'm going to help.'

He was beckoned towards a boutique-type shop, the mother following with the other children.

'I've called an ambulance,' the shop owner exclaimed.

'Toby, you're being so brave. Hang on in there, help's coming.' Draco lay him carefully on the carpet.

'Mummy?'

'I'm here, darling. Be brave for me, Tobs.' She knelt next to her son, taking his hand. Draco could see she was as shaken as he was.

He glanced up to see Blaise arrive and signalled him in. Harry had come too but was talking to the upset old man who'd been driving.

'I can't do anything, Dray,' Blaise hissed. 'You know I can't...'

'Just take some of the pain away, please.'

Blaise nodded once.

'Toby, madam, my friend here is a doctor, can he look at your leg?'

Toby nodded fearfully, his bottom lip quivering.

Draco stepped back as Blaise knelt down next to the boy and began to carefully feel his leg. As he waited, he felt the gentle touch of a hand on the small of his back. He didn't need to turn around to know it was Harry.

'They've taken the driver into the next shop, he's in severe shock.'

'I-I couldn't stop it. I saw it happen, and I couldn't do anything.'

He knew he needed to hold it together until the police and ambulance came, to be strong in front of Toby who was watching him with teary eyes. He wanted nothing more than to sink against Harry and be held by him. All he could do was think of Teddy and Hector and Esther. He needed to protect them from stuff like this.

He watched Toby's face relax a little as Blaise lifted the pain. But Blaise placed a firm hand on his chest and said, 'no, you can't move. Be good for your mummy and stay very still for me until the ambulance comes. Have you ever been in an ambulance, Toby?'

The boy shook his head, his blue eyes wide.

The police took statements from everyone and the boy and his family where whisked off to be treated.

'Oh Merlin, Harry,' he murmured as they hugged later.

'I know,' Harry said softly, rubbing soothing circles into the nape of his hair.

'I couldn't stop it.'

'We can't stop every accident.'

'He's just a boy, like Teddy... I was watching, thinking that I'd like to have a family one day...'

Harry pulled him in tighter. 'We'll sort something out, when the time's right,' he said softly.

*****