seventeen

"What are you so scared of?" Kourtney asks Nini as they sit in Kourtney's room.

Nini looks up from her homework. "Huh?"

"With Ricky. Why are you so scared to talk to him?"

"Because he's onto me, Kourt," Nini reminds her.

"The only reason he thinks there's something up is because you're acting so guilty. You don't seem to have a problem hiding your secret around everyone else at East High," Kourtney points out.

Nini bites the inside of her cheek.

"I see your jaw moving. Stop biting your cheeks." Kourtney sets her hand on top of Nini's. "It's just me here, there's no reason to be nervous."

Nini sighs, halting her bad habit.

"Have you been going to therapy?"

Kourtney knows that Nini's foster mom isn't exactly on top of making sure the kids are where they should be.

"I try to, but it just brings bad memories a lot of the time," Nini explains quietly.

"I know you don't want to think about your moms or rehab, but if you don't, your chances of a relapse are way higher. You know this, Ni."

Nini's eyes begin to water. "I just—" Nini's voice cracks. "I don't know what to do."

"Oh, Nini," Kourtney mumbles sadly as she pulls her best friend in for a tight hug.

Kourtney lets Nini cry for a few minutes, knowing she needs to let her emotions out.

Nini has been through a lot, and the fact that she's easily overwhelmed does not aid her in coping.

Kourtney pulls away slowly, making eye contact with Nini. "I cannot go through all that again, Nini. Please, just promise me that I won't almost lose you again."

Nini takes a shaky breath.

She can do this. She can be strong for Kourtney, and for everyone else that needs her. She can do this.

"I promise."

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

nini is babie and must be protected at all costs,,

-jenna