fifty one

"What about this?" Kourt asks as she tries on another ridiculous hat.

Nini laughs. "That's definitely the one."

"Really? I was digging the 90s style." Kourtney shrugs, looking in the mirror.

Nini continues laughing.

"Okay," Kourtney puts the hat back on the rack. "We've had a break, and now it's time to get some food."

Nini sighs, but she knows Kourtney is right.

"Yeah. Okay."

The two girls walk together to the food court where Kourtney orders the two of them some lunch before they sit at a table, waiting for their order to be called.

"How have you been feeling recently?" Kourtney asks.

Nini looks away. "I've been fine."

"You're always just fine."

Nini sighs. "It's not a big deal, Kourt. It's not like I'm full on relapsing or anything."

"I'm just worried that you haven't eaten since Friday morning," Kourtney explains, trying to be sensitive. "That sort of is a relapse."

"I'm not doing it on purpose. I'm just not hungry."

"It doesn't matter if it's on purpose or not, Ni."

Nini shrugs, looking down. "It's just hard to eat when I feel like I shouldn't."

"Nina. It's just... All weekend?"

Nini looks back at Kourtney. "I know, Kourt. I get it. Stop worrying about me so much." Nini says this harsher than she means to, but not eating can make her cranky.

Kourtney puts her hands up in defense. "Okay, I'll back off... If you eat what I got you."

Nini sighs. "I'm sorry for snapping."

"It's okay, Ni. I get it. Please just..." Kourtney takes a breath. "Please eat."

Kourtney's name is called from the kiosk and Kourtney walks over to get the food.

It takes Nini a while to actually eat the majority of her food, but she does better than Kourtney was expecting.

"Are you ready to call your therapist?" Kourtney asks.

Nini sighs again, taking out her phone. "I don't have much of a choice."

When Nini looks down at her phone, she sees how many notifications she's gotten.

ricky
how did a rumor spread about you in the 20 mins we were in the library

you dont have to talk to me, but please let me know if you're okay or need anything

are you at school?

heard you're at the mall. i'm glad you're safe. please text me later?

gina
drugs?? wait until coach jen finds out about this one

Nini rolls her eyes at the last one.

"I can't stand Gina Porter."

"Welcome to the club." Kourtney scoffs. "Your friendship with her is beyond fucked up."

Nini puffs up her cheeks and blows air out slowly. "Yeah."

"Anything else? It seems like there's something else bothering you."

"Yeah, it's just—" Nini makes a frustrated noise. "Ricky, he..."

"He was stupid and rude to you and now he apologized and is being sweet again and it's hard not to forgive him right away," Kourtney finishes for her.

"How did you—?"

"Word gets around about the football team. I heard about him telling you off before the game. Everyone on the team thought it was a dick move."

"Well, it was. He was so mean to me, but it was because he thought I was hurting him. I don't know how to handle this," Nini blurts.

"You call your therapist and schedule an appointment. That's how to handle this."

"Do I text him back?"

"Not right now, Neens. Maybe later, but not now."

Nini takes a deep breath. "You're right. I'm calling my therapist."

And so, Nini calls.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

poor nini :( she's working through it

what do you think will happen with ricky?

-jenna