seventy one

After the game, Nini waits with her team as the football players get changed.

East High won with a score of 50-13, a complete blowout.

Nini is chatting with her backspot when she feels a pair of arms lift her slightly off the ground.

Nini squeals, knowing exactly who it is and turning around to face him as soon as her feet touch the ground. "Congrats on the win, Prince Charming."

"That's King Charming to you," Ricky corrects.

Nini rolls her eyes. "Don't let this get to your head. You're still an absolute dork."

"But I'm your dork," Ricky leans in to whisper in her ear. His arms tighten around her. "And I'm never going to let you forget it."

Nini feels a chill down her spine, her breath hitching. "You smell like sweat," she's able to get out.

Ricky loosens his grip, laughing. "Nice comeback."

"Oh, whatever. You knew what you were doing," Nini pouts.

"Can y'all go be cute somewhere else. I'm gonna be sick," Kourtney complains, walking up to them.

"Kourt!" Nini exclaims. "I didn't know you came."

"Yeah, Red convinced Ash and I to come to support you both." Kourtney jabs her thumb behind her shoulder. "I'm not a huge fan of either sport, though, I can't lie."

Ashlyn and Red appear from the general direction Kourtney pointed.

"Why is it so packed still? Didn't the game end like twenty minutes ago?" Red asks.

"It probably takes Ricky twenty minutes just to wash his luscious curls," Ashlyn takes a jab, rolling her eyes.

"Thanks for coming, guys." Ricky smiles, moving to hold Nini's hand rather than wrapping his arm around her.

Nini is glad physical touch is one of her main love languages because she has no doubt that it's number one on Ricky's list. The boy can hardly keep his hands to himself for five seconds when he's with her.

"Of course, Ricky. It was kinda cool when the crowd would cheer your name. I felt special because I'm actually friends with you and I know none of them really are," Red babbles excitedly.

The group laughs.

"Yeah, it was nice to see both of you doing something you love," Ashlyn tells them.

Nini smiles softly, leaning into Ricky slightly.

"Thanks, Ash. Are you gonna be nicer to me now because I'm dating Nini?" Ricky asks hopefully.

"Absolutely not. Nini is the only one I'm nice to," Ashlyn deadpans.

"Not true," Kourtney points out.

"Okay, you're another exception, but I'm still not being nice to Ricky," Ashlyn rolls her eyes as she elaborates.

The group laughs once more.

"It's okay, that was a long shot." Ricky shrugs, squeezing Nini's hand.

Nini loves being close with Ricky. She feels like every touch in public has its own secret code that she seems to understand without being told.

That squeeze right there seemed to say 'See? Everything will be fine.'

She thinks he's right. Even when things aren't okay, they will be soon.

Now she just has to get through the Homecoming dance without Gina gutting her like a fish.

"Hey," Nini turns to Ricky. "Didn't you say your dad was here?"

"Yeah, why?" Ricky asks.

"You called me your girlfriend at halftime," Nini reminds him.

Ricky's mouth falls into an 'o' shape. "Right."

The others looks at them.

What's so wrong with that?" Kourtney asks for all of them.

"He doesn't know who Nini is, let alone that I'm dating her," Ricky admits, rubbing his hand along the back of his neck.

"Can we step away for a minute?" Nini asks Kourtney, Ash, and Red.

They all nod.

Ricky and Nini step away from the crowds of people where they can talk more privately.

Nini faces him, taking both of his hands in hers. "We can go talk to him right now if you want to, or we can schedule another time. I just don't think you should pretend it didn't happen and not know how to respond if he asks."

Ricky closes his eyes, taking a breath. "You're right. I just wish I'd introduced him to you before I pulled that at halftime. I wasn't thinking."

Nini pulls him closer for a hug, her arms wrapped around his torso. "It'll be okay, I promise. Let's just pick a time to tell him he's meeting me."

"How is it that you always seem to do and say the right thing?" Ricky asks her as they embrace.

Nini shrugs. "You get used to it."

Ricky pulls back a little. "When do you want to meet my dad?"

"It doesn't matter what I want. This is about your dad." Nini shakes her head.

"Princess, it always matters what you want. I want you to be happy and comfortable with whatever happens," Ricky tells her. "I don't want you to ever think that someone else's happiness should come before yours."

Nini leans back in to hide her face in his shirt. "Stop being so nice to me, I don't know how to react to it," she mumbles.

Ricky chuckles lightly. "Because you're always the one being too nice, Ni. You deserve to have it reciprocated."

Nini squeezes him a little tighter, and he knows exactly what it means.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

homecoming tomorrow !!!

-jenna