fifty seven

Ashlyn can't lie, she was surprised that Nini stood up for her in the cafeteria.

Hell, Ashlyn was surprised Nini even stood up for herself.

But when Nini admitted to a large group of people that Ashlyn was the one to stop talking to her, it made her feel pretty guilty.

Does Nini actually miss her? Ashlyn thought Nini would be better off without her. She never would have left if she thought otherwise.

Ashlyn thought she was leaving Nini in good hands.

She hates that she was wrong.

Ashlyn walks outside where no one else is and pulls out her phone, dialing a number she hasn't in a long time.

After a few rings, she finally gets to voicemail.

"Hi, you've reached Carol Salazar-Roberts! Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as you can."

Ashlyn takes a breath before speaking.

"Hey Carol. I know it's been a long time since I've called, but... I just wanted to tell you that we miss you and Dana. Nini misses you both so much. It's hard not having you here. I know you weren't my moms and that I feel like I'm stealing from Nini by calling you, but I wish you were here. Nini did something really big today." Ashlyn can feel the tears in her eyes threatening to fall. "She stood up for herself. She hasn't done that in a really long time. I'm really proud of her for it, but I can't tell her that. Not yet, at least. I still don't think she's ready to be friends again... And that's okay, really. I want to do what's best for her. She's the one that lost her parents, not me. I still... have them.

"Anyways, this is getting pretty long. I'm sorry I haven't called in a while, but I'm glad they still haven't given your number away. It's nice to feel like I'm talking to you. You always knew what to say when everything felt like it was broken," Ashlyn finishes up the call and hangs up.

She closes her eyes, sliding her back down the wall until she's sitting.

She can't cry at school. She's strong at school.

She's the resident badass.

Ashlyn takes a breath before standing up, gaining composure.

Just a second after doing so, she hears the door open, and watches as none other than Gina Porter exits the building.

Gina doesn't see her at first, thinking she's alone.

She looks upset.

Ashlyn has a feeling it has to do with what went down in the cafeteria, but you can never be sure with someone this cold-hearted.

"Hey," Ashlyn acknowledges.

Gina turns and rolls her eyes. "I swear to God. What does a girl have to do to be alone around here?"

Ashlyn raises an eyebrow. "You didn't seem to have a problem invading Nini's privacy. A little birdie told me you went into the bathroom gossiping about her because you knew she was in there."

Gina scoffs. "Well, then you should know who told me to do it."

"I know my cousin is a dick, Gina. You don't have to remind me. I already don't talk to him anymore. That doesn't excuse that fact that you did it... With no incentive, might I add."

"At least I didn't drop her just because she almost died," Gina crosses her arms.

"You know nothing about what happened last year," Ashlyn threatens, stepping closer to Gina.

"So what did happen, then?" Gina smirks.

"I'm not playing your game, Gina. You already lost."

"Typical Ashlyn Caswell: all talk until she has to put her money where her mouth is."

"Typical Gina Porter: a bitch," Ashlyn retorts.

Gina laughs.

"God, you're a fucking sociopath." Ashlyn accuses.

Gina smirks. "And what about it?"

"I'm done here." Ashlyn walks away.

Gina lets her smirk drop when she's alone.

She knows she enjoys watching people suffer, but she doesn't think she's actually a sociopath. Her therapist tells her she needs to work on it, but Gina doesn't think she wants to. She sort of likes being the one everyone is talking about.

Gina doesn't care who she has to take down with her in order to get the attention she deserves.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

who knew ashlyn was hiding so much pain 🥺

-jenna