twenty one

Nini enters the cafe at 3:04 the next day.

She hadn't wanted to arrive early in fear of Ricky standing her up and her looking like a fool waiting for him.

Her fears are squandered when she sees the curly haired boy swirling around a cup of coffee.

From the look on his face, Nini is starting to wonder if he had been thinking the same thing about her.

She approaches his table quietly, not really sure how to get him to notice she's arrived.

Nini clears her throat and lets out a small "Hey."

Ricky looks up immediately. "Oh, uh, hey." He motions to the chair opposing him so she'll sit. "I already got coffee, sorry I didn't wait." He scratches the back of his neck. "I wasn't sure if you were coming."

Nini takes a seat in the chair, hanging her bag on the back of it.

"To be quite honest with you, I was worried you wouldn't be here either," Nini admits sheepishly.

Ricky lets out a small snort of laughter. "So we both seem to be nervous coming into this, huh?"

Nini finds herself laughing as well. This situation does seem a bit ridiculous.

"Why do you think that is? That we're so unnerved by each other, I mean," Nini finds herself asking once her laughter dies down.

"I know my side is because my defense mechanism is to be an asshole." Ricky rolls his eyes at himself, a small smile still playing at his lips.

"Well then I suppose mine is because I react badly to assholes," Nini jokes in return.

They sit in a comfortable silence for a moment.

"I'm starting to think you're really not so bad," Nini ponders.

"I like to think I have redeeming qualities." Ricky smirks.

Nini's face goes sour. "Nevermind, you're that bad."

"Hey!" Ricky laughs.

Nini laughs along with him.

"You know, I'm actually not really in the mood for coffee right now. Do you maybe want to go somewhere else?" Nini asks timidly.

Ricky's smile grows. "I was hoping you'd say that. I know just the place."

Nini smiles in return, sort of shocked that this boy seems to have a plan for this... whatever this is.

Ricky stands up from his chair, grabbing his coat and waiting for Nini.

"Did you drive here?" Ricky asks.

"Yeah, why?"

"We'll come back for your car later. Come with me." Ricky excitedly grabs Nini's arm, gently of course. He doesn't want to rough house with a girl he's barely met.

Nini laughs as she's pulled along and Ricky opens the passenger door for her to get inside before running around to get into the driver's seat.

"Where are we going?" Nini asks.

"You'll see," Ricky replies mysteriously.

Ricky blasts music the whole way there, though it was only five or so minutes.

Nini loudly sings alongside Ricky as he rolls the windows down.

Nini hasn't felt such a rush from being with someone in a long time, and she really does enjoy it. The wind in her hair, the catchy melodies in her ear... She couldn't get enough of it.