forty two

Nini doesn't know what to wear to a date she doesn't want to be on.

She doesn't want to ask for help either, because the only person she wants to talk to seems to be mad at her right now.

She eventually decides on a flowy dress and some sandals. She hopes he's not taking her anywhere too nice. She knows she'll feel awkward no matter where she goes.

This is her first ever date, after all.

She wishes her first ever date could be with someone that made her more comfortable.

Someone like Ricky, she thinks to herself.

Nini's phone vibrates.

EJ
out front

Nini is confused for a moment before realizing he means he's waiting for her outside the house.

She sighs, grabbing her purse and heading out the front door.

She plasters a tight lipped smile onto her face, not wanting him to think she's too excited to be there.

"What's with that face?" EJ asks, starting to drive.

"What face?"

"You look like you're grimacing."

"I'm not grimacing. It's a smile," Nini confirms, looking out the window.

"Good."

The ride is silent for a few minutes.

"Where are we going?" Nini finally asks, looking over at him.

"There's a party at my friend's house a bit away. I know you're experienced in that area." EJ winks.

Nini continues to look out the window. She's really not in the mood to go to a party.

As soon as they arrive, EJ leads Nini into the kitchen and hands her a drink.

She takes it, but doesn't drink any. She soon sees EJ chugging a beer and decides it's for the best that she doesn't drink at all tonight. There's no way she's getting in the car with a drunk EJ. She's just glad her foster mom's friend gave her an Uber gift card recently.

Nini hasn't spoken a single word since arriving. She doesn't know anyone here.

She walks into the backyard and pours out some of her drink to make it look like she's had some.

She looks around and sees a gazebo with a bench, heading over to sit there and pulling out her phone. She opens her texts with Ricky, typing up a message.

hey

Nini takes a shaky breath as she presses send.

She isn't surprised when it's been over an hour and he still hasn't responded.

Nini stares off into the darkness of the backyard, trying to tune out the blasting music coming from inside.

"Nini!" EJ's slurred voice calls.

Nini gets up, grabbing her stuff. "I'm right here."

"What are you doing out here?" EJ stumbles.

"The fresh air is nice," she replies simply.

"Wanna know what's nicer?" EJ smirks.

Nini chews the inside of her cheek, nervous. "What?"

"Your ass." EJ laughs, grabbing her.

Nini tries to push him away, but he's significantly stronger than her. "EJ, stop."

"Or what? Bowen will come rescue you? I don't think he'll be doing that anytime soon with how upset he is at you."

He's right, Nini thinks to herself. It's not like I deserve any rescuing anyway.

And so, Nini gives in. She stops resisting. No one else thinks she's worth saving, so why should she try to save herself? She's not worth the hassle.

"Can we go inside?" Nini asks in a small voice.

EJ pulls her inside roughly, bringing her straight to the dance floor.

He squeezes her wrists, not letting her get away from him. He pulls her to him in a way she wishes he wouldn't, but she can't stop him. She just has to wait it out.

EJ pulls her in close to his face.

"I don't want to kiss you right now," Nini tells him weakly.

"We'll save it for later." EJ smirks.

Nini is relieved.

"Can I go to the restroom?" Nini asks.

"Don't be too long," EJ orders.

Nini nods, pulling up the Uber app as she walks to the bathroom.

She's hoping he'll forget about her by the time he notices she's left.

The Uber takes five minutes to arrive, and when it does, she sneaks out the back door and through the side gate to the front, hoping no one would notice.

No one did.

Why would anyone want to notice her anyway?

When Nini gets home, she pulls out her phone one more time to type out a text before she shuts it off.

i'm sorry i couldn't be enough

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

:( poor nini

-jenna