forty nine

"Nini Salazar-Roberts overdosed on drugs. Then she had to go to rehab to fix her addiction!"

This is what Ricky overheard on his way back to class after the library.

"I'm sorry, what?" Ricky asks the girls that were talking.

"Didn't you hear? Nini is a drug addict! I can't believe they let her be captain of the cheer team after that. I mean, I guess it makes sense that she'd go crazy after her parents died, but drugs! Wow."

"Where did you hear this?" Ricky asks incredulously.

"Gina! She's Nini's best friend, so she would know," one girl confirms, the other nodding profusely.

"They're not best friends," is all Ricky says before walking away.

There's no way this is true. Nini wouldn't do drugs.

At least, he doesn't think she would.

Ricky has done plenty of doubting when it comes to Nini, and he knows that this is where he has to pull it together. If she admits to it, he'll believe it. Until then, nothing that comes out of Gina's mouth is the truth.

Ricky pulls out his phone to text her.

how did a rumor spread about you in the 20 mins we were in the library

Ricky hits send, before realizing that may come off as insensitive.

you dont have to talk to me, but please let me know if you're okay or need anything

Ricky taps the back of his phone impatiently, staring at it and hoping for a response.

After a minute he sends another one.

are you at school?

Another minute passes and Ricky lets out a puff of air, realizing she won't be responding right now.

He decides to look for her instead. If her car is in it's usual spot, she's here. If not, she's not.

Ricky jogs out to the parking lot, looking for her car. When he doesn't see it, he starts to walk to his car.

"Hey, where are you going?" Red grabs his arm.

Ricky gasps, snapping out of his thoughts. "Dude, where did you come from?"

"I saw you going towards the parking lot. What are you doing?"

"I need to find Nini," Ricky explains plainly.

"And how are you planning on doing that?" Red asks, trying to knock some sense into him.

Ricky looks around. "I don't know, drive around, I guess?"

"A better idea might be, I don't know, texting who she's with?" Red suggests.

"Do you know who she's with?"

"Kourtney left campus with her a few minutes ago."

"Do you have Kourtney's number?"

"I'm starting to understand why Ash and Kourtney were getting annoyed by all my questions earlier." Red shakes his head. "Of course I have Kourtney's number. I'll call her and ask."

A few minutes and a phone call later, Red finds out that Kourtney and Nini took Nini's car to the mall.

"Let them have their time, dude. Nini is safe and being distracted," Red tries to convince.

Ricky sighs. "You're right. I should go to class."

Ricky continues to stare at the parking lot.

"Dude," Red warns.

Ricky turns back to Red. "Right."

"Let's go back in before you do something stupid." Red puts an arm around Ricky, forcing him back on campus.

Ricky pulls out his phone to text Nini again.

heard you're at the mall. i'm glad you're safe. please text me later?

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

ricky protec

-jenna