23

Dhiren knocks on Jessa's door as he hears her swearing up a storm inside. Opening it up he looks in cautiously, "If everything alright, Jessa?"

"I can't find it, I thought I packed it that night. I know I didn't leave it in my room at my parents house."

"Can't find what, Jessa?" Dhiren asks confused and slightly amused.

"My spidersilk wrap. I was sure that I packed it that night after the ceremony, but I can't find it now."

Dhiren loses his amusement at this. That wrap is very costly, not to mention the memories it brings to mind from the night of the celebration. He remembers her going to her pack and the wrap falling off of her, but he doesn't remember her putting it in her pack, just getting dressed from the clothes she had with her.

"Jessa," Dhiren says hesitantly and with pain, "I don't think you packed it after you took it off at the celebration. You went to the pack and took out clothes. I saw you put on the clothes but I don't remember you putting anything back into the pack or even seeing the wrap."

With Dhiren's words Jessa seems to slump. "I see. I can't even keep the ceremonial clothing for Lady Zira. How do I have her blessing? How could she want us together?"

Dhiren had forgotten that little fact. His father isn't the only one wanting this union. He wants it too, but he doesn't want Jessa to feel pressured in any way to accept his suit. That's what he is most afraid of, that she will only accept him because of political pressure to do so.

"Now I have a problem. I was going to use the wrap as a dress for dinner, but with it gone I don't have any clean clothes, let alone any thing good enough to wear for a formal meal."

Just then Dhiren hears Alaric giving Sorsha directions. "I might have an answer to your problem, Jessa. I hope so at least."

Jessa looks at him with both hope and then despair, "How could you have a clothes that would fit me? You are taller and your build is far different from mine."

Dhiren merely smiles as Sorsha stops at the door seeing Dhiren there. "Here's what you asked me to get for you Prince." She hands over the package and then the purse with the remaining money.

"Thank you Sorsha, the bathing rooms are two doors down. Your things should be here soon. You will need to dress for a formal meal. You have less than an hour."

"Yes, Prince, Jessa," Sorsha gives them both half bows before returning to the hall. She looks for and finds the bathing chamber.

Dhiren walks over and hands the package to Jessa.

"What is this, Dhiren?" Jessa says holding the package.

"It's a courting gift, I hope you like it." Dhiren says and then holds his breath as Jessa opens the package.

Jessa inhales sharply as she holds up the dress. "How did you know that I wanted this dress, Dhiren?"

"I saw you looking at it when we passed the store. I thought you would look stunning in it so I had Sorsha get it for me as a surprise for you. Do you accept it?" Dhiren is almost as nervous about her answer for the gift as he was for her accepting him courting her.

"It is beautiful, Dhiren, thank you. I would be honored to accept your gift. But, Prince, I can't match your gift prices."

Dhiren smiles and just shrugs, "When one is a prince they are expected to give expensive gifts. When one is just starting out as a caravan guardsman they aren't expected to give expensive gifts. I accepted the sweet roll earlier and it was perfect."

"But that wasn't meant as a courting gift," Jessa exclaims not wanting to take credit where none was due.

Dhiren merely smiles, "But I accepted it as one. Like I said it was perfect. Now, we should hurry if we wish to bathe before the meal."

Jessa careful folds the dress back up and goes out to the hall. There they run into Kelton returning with the belongings of the prince, Sorsha and his own. 

Dhiren takes his things, "Perfect timing, Kelton. Your room is down the hall and third door on the right. Drop your things off there and return to the bathing chambers next door to yours. You'll need to dress formally for dinner."

Jessa takes Sorsha's bag.  Dhiren opens the door for her and she slips in. "Thank you, Dhiren. I'll see you after we get ready then I guess."

"Enjoy your bath, Jessa." Dhiren says before going to the chamber next door for his bath.

"Prince?"

"Yes, Kelton?" Dhiren says after rinsing off the soap.

"Did Lady Jessa accept the dress you had Sorsha get her?" Kelton asks nervously.

Dhiren raises his eyebrow, "Lady Jessa?"

Kelton blushes, "Yeah, I mean, you are courting her. I don't think your parents would accept that if she wasn't a lady. Besides, being the daughter of General Kallen and Lady Sorid, that would make her a lady as well."

Dhiren smiles at his guard, "You are right. Too bad so many of the elves have refused to accept that. They wouldn't even let her call them her parents."

Kelton frowns at this. "But they raised her after taking her in. They love her. Why wouldn't they be considered her parents?"

Dhiren laughs in delight, "Because, Kelton, most only see that she is human. They think that only an elven child would be acceptable to call them parents."

Kelton shakes his head in confusion. He's an excellent soldier, but not terribly bright. He'll never make officer. "That isn't right sir. Lady Jessa is one of the most incredible people I've ever met. Sorsha is right, she's perfect for you and will make an excellent princess and in time, queen for us."

Dhiren is smiling broadly in delight. "I thank you, Kelton. Jessa will be needing all the support she can get to help the other elves see that as well."

Kelton smiles back at his prince. "I will do what I can to support her and get my friends to do the same, Prince. Lady Jessa can only be an asset to us."

Kelton submerges to rinse off the soap so he misses the prince's words, "Now to convince Jessa of that," and the prince's sigh.