70

"Did you know?" Jessa demands of Dhiren.

"Did I know that you fought an ancient blue? Yes, your grandfather told me once he looked over the battle. That it was the one that killed your father, no. He didn't tell me that part."

"I killed not just an ancient dragon, but the one that killed my father?" Jessa is having a hard time taking that in. As she starts going into a panic attack, Dhiren pulls her in close and holds her.

"It's done and over, Jessa. He's dead and you are alive. You avenged your father, even if that hadn't been your intention. And you survived. You saved a lot of lives, Jessa, you have every reason to be proud of what you accomplished."

"I did what I did out of selfish reasons, Dhiren. I couldn't let Nathan go through that and die, nor could I let you take your army there and have you or them die. Instead Nathan died because of following me into that death field. It's my fault that he's dead." With that Jessa starts crying, mourning her friend and those that died because she took them the long way instead of through Silva.

"Jessa, you saved lives. Nathan chose to follow you because he loved you and didn't want to take the chance that he could make a difference on whether you lived or died. I have no doubt that he did indeed help to save your life. He killed dragon kin, Jessa, not just normal bandits like the other humans. If he hadn't been there fighting the dragon kin that he was they would have gone against you. If you had, had to fight them as well you likely wouldn't have done as well against the blue dragon as you did. Him taking on the dragon kin made it so that you survived which is what he wanted to do for you. 

"He sent me a note saying that he didn't want to be your body guard as you fought. He didn't want it to seem that he was doing it because he had to, but because he wanted to."

Dhiren takes out a folded up paper. "We found this on his body before we sent him off. I'm sure that he would like for you to have it." Jessa takes the paper and reads it. Before she finishes her tears are flowing.

Dhiren doesn't ask her what Nathan had written. She will tell him if she wants to. He has actually linked the letter to Jessa so that only she would be able to read it. Nathan's last words to her should be hers alone.

Dhiren holds her to him and lets her mourn for her lost friend, her lost brother.

"He tells me in this that he knows that he won't live through the fight, but he couldn't let me fight alone. He tells me that he wants me to have his things and that I will know what to do with them. Lastly he tells me that he loves me and thanks me for letting him know and help me for the time we had." Even Dhiren's eyes starting watering up with those words.

"How did he know that he would die?" Jessa asks Dhiren. "Not even Zira knew the outcome of the fight."

"Some people are able to feel their death before it happens. If he was fated to die there then he could have felt that. You gave him the chance to make a reason for it. Unlike Jasper's brother. Nathan was able to make a difference against the bandits. He fought valiantly and was rewarded by Jethro for it. His children will be given the same strength as you were growing up. They will be taught as you were. They will be as strong as you and because of that they will be given high honor, they will be the personal guards to our children."

"I miss him." Jessa understands all that was said. She still feels the hole in her heart where Nathan should be, though, and that's all that she can feel.

She moves a bit and knocks the other package onto the ground. That reminds her that she still hasn't opened it.

Once she calms down she asks Dhiren about it. "What's the other package?"

Dhiren reluctantly releases Jessa and picks up the package. "I found this in the bazaar. Some weapons, especially arrows seem to have that damn spell that neutralizes armor. This won't stop them, but if an arrow manages to get through your armor, this will make it easier and less damaging to pull out. I would ask you to wear it any time you aren't in Silva or in the safety of your grandfathers house. Unless you have reason to not wear it, like clothing to a party or something like that."

Dhiren hands her the package and Jessa looks at him searchingly before she opens the package up. She gasps at the work she sees on the spidersilk. "It's so incredible. Where in the world did you find this?"

The embroidered scene reminds Jessa of the fight that nearly killed her. It had taken her to look at it closely to make it out.

"In the bazaar here while walking around. Your grandfather kicked me out while he was taking care of you."

"Dhiren, that's impossible. Take a look at this scene." Jessa shows him the picture the embroidered scene makes. Dhiren takes a large indrawn breath.

They look at each other. "Zira, she did this and placed it in the bazaar." It's all that Dhiren can think of. The size is perfect for Jessa and the scene could only be the fight.

"It's Nathan," Jessa says tracing one of the downed men that is embroidered on the fabric.

"How can you tell?" To Dhiren the forms have no faces.

"I just know." Jessa starts crying again. "I will wear this when it isn't safe for me to be without it." Jessa says to reassure Dhiren. If the elven deity wants her to have this and even set the fight on it, then Jessa will honor her and her friend by wearing it like Dhiren wants her to.

"Thank you, Jessa. Now you are exhausted, let's get you to sleep." Dhiren relaxes as Jessa tells him this. "You have had quite a long and tiring day."

Jessa snorts, "I've barely been up for over an hour."

"True, but that hour as been physically and emotionally exhausting. You are healing, but you still need a great deal of rest." Dhiren tells her tucking her in and kissing her goodnight.

"Stay?" Jessa asks more vulnerable than he's ever seen her before.

"Of course." Dhiren doesn't even think twice about it. He gets ready for bed and slips in next to her. He holds her as she sleeps and he's content. Hurting for her, but more than content that she's alive and with him.