90

"So the right course is taking Sorsha. Damn, how can I do that to Sorid?" Now Jessa is torn. If she doesn't take Sorsha then she will end up killing every one. If she does then she will be putting too much on Sorid's shoulders, far too much stress. Four toddlers that are very active will be too much for her.

"She'll be moving in here with the children. I would insist on it even if she wasn't pregnant." Surprisingly it's the king that says this. "I'm sending Kallen with you. At least for the first stage of the trip. I'll have him return once you leave Kyron unless you have further need of him."

"How can you spare him, Father?" Dhiren exclaims astounded. "You are already having to take on my load, you and Kallen."

"If Sorid wasn't pregnant I had intended for him to accompany you all the way to Lexin. Having our top general is safer for you and it's a show of respect for the high elves. They don't have respect for much. 

"As for sparing him, well, I'll just be taking on your responsibilities once more. Kallen's job can be delegated to the other generals." Jessa makes a face at those words.

"I am aware of Snodgrass and his borderline traitorous activities, Jessa. We'll be keeping a close eye on him. It's a shame we weren't able to find any solid evidence that he's the one behind your attack. We are pretty sure that he is behind it if not the one to actually shoot the arrow. We just don't have the proof needed." Ureuk says apologetically. 

"Because of that we'll have him doing the administrative part of the work and all of it will be looked over by someone that is trusted.

"Your safety and the safety of my son are of high importance. You two must make those alliances if any of us have a chance to survive."

"Send him all the way to Lexin. They will need all the help they can get. Kallen has told me about the attack reports they've been getting from the north." Sorid says waking up and shakily standing once more.

"I can't take him with us, mother. You will need him here." Jessa tells her with tears in her eyes.

Sorid waves away her fears. "I'll move into the palace here. I'll have plenty of help here. I'll miss him, but if our children have any chance of living to adulthood, you must make those alliances. That is of the most importance right now.

"Besides, you should be back before the babies are born. That's when the real fun begins." Sorid says dryly.

"Mom," Jessa starts to say but Sorid holds up her hands to stop her.

"No, Jessa, this is bigger than me and you and our wants. No one will be safe if those alliances aren't made. Besides, Kallen can help train your new guards. That will help you as well. Lianna will help me with the children and me being here will make things easier all over. I likely would be moving in even if Kallen doesn't go to Lexin."

Jessa nods looking defeated. Dhiren doesn't like her looking like that so goes to her and holds her to him. "It will be alright, Jessa. It's safer for her and the children, especially Sorsha's children to be here. Mother will keep a strict eye on Sorid to make sure that she doesn't overdue things.

"I'm sure that the other clerics will be able to take much of the workload from Sorid, especially once they find out that she is expecting twins again." Dhiren is more than a little in awe of this. It's so rare for any of his people to have multiple births, but it's never happened for them to have more than one pregnancy with multiple births. 

Jessa doesn't say anything and just soaks in Dhiren's love. It's been hard having this weird courtship. They've had so little time together that they are still getting to know the simplest things about each other. It will be good to have him with her on this trip. She was afraid that she would have to go on it alone.

"Come, you are still recovering your energy from Sy taking so much of it. Let's get you fed and then you can take a nap." Dhiren ignores everyone else in the room as he gently guides Jessa from the room.

Once the door is once more closed, "Well, I've never been so completely dismissed before. At least not here." Zira says with a great deal of humor.

"She's really not happy about this," Jethro says thoughtfully.

"Doesn't matter, she will need Kallen in the coming months even more than we will. Besides, he'll get a first hand look at the situation and be able to make plans accordingly. He can send messages through Mel to let us know what we'll need to do." Ureuk says to the deities.

"Yes, that reminds me, Zira, would you have any trouble allowing one of my children to become a gold dragon?" Jethro says turning to the female goddess.

Zira narrows her eyes. "You weren't very happy about Dhiren becoming so, why do you now desire one of yours to become one?"

"He's proven himself strong enough to try and it will only benefit his people. Which in turn will benefit yours."

"How so? Who is the one you wish to have become one of the Ancient One's?" Zira asks hiding her amusement.

"Prince Sy, prince of Castlerock and Jessa's cousin."

"Jessa's cousin? Does she know?" Zira asks intently.

"She found out earlier and she wasn't all that happy." Jethro says making a face at the memory of Jessa's reaction.

"So you want to add one of your children to me?" The Ancient One asks interestedly. He'll be happy to take another child. 

"Yes, Prince Sy, it would be good for both the elves and the humans."

"And the gold dragons, eh?" The Ancient One thinks about it. "If he is agreeable, I will allow it, if Zira is fine with it." Ancient One holds up his hands, "But not until after the war if he lives. Now is not the time for him to become a dragon. Younglings especially newborns are weak and vulnerable. He would need to be in a safe place. He isn't even as able to protect himself as Jessa and Dhiren are and I don't want them to change just yet either. Ideally, I wouldn't want them to change until after the war."

Jethro stares at him in shock. It's Zira that looks at him in confusion, "Why not?"

"Like I said, they are vulnerable. Their bodies are one thing now, but if they change they will have to relearn everything. Yes, I know you will help them, but they really don't have the time right now, but it will be better then them dying."