27

"Jessa?" Sorid says as Jessa comes inside.

"Hey, mom," Jessa says and then bursts into tears.

"What's wrong, love?" Sorid asks enfolding Jessa in her arms. Sorid can't remember the last time Jessa cried like that. She didn't even cry like that when she left or when she came back with broken bones after being bullied and hurting from what the elflings had done to her or said.

"It hurts, mom, it hurts." Jessa sobs out. The thought of leaving Dhiren hits her harder than she thought it would.

"She wants to break up with the Prince," Nathan says when Sorid looks beyond confused and hurting for Jessa. Sorid looks startled at hearing another speak, she hadn't noticed him.

"Hello?" Sorid says now a bit alarmed at having a strange human here and her arms full of her crying daughter.

"Sorry, I am Jessa's friend, Nathan. I don't think she intended to fall apart like this." Nathan says softly and with concern, his focus on Jessa's crying form.

"Why does she want to break up with Prince Dhiren?" Sorid becomes angry. Jessa wouldn't have accepted the courting just to turn it around and end it a week later if the Prince hadn't done something.

"It wasn't the prince," Jessa manages to choke out between sobs. "Alaric told me some information and duties that I will have to perform. I can't do those and be with Dhiren. I can't and it won't be fair to Dhiren for me to do so. I have to let him go."

Now Sorid is even more confused. As far as she knows, from what Kallen has told her, Alaric was pleased with the possibility of Jessa coming closer to the elves. Kallen thought that Alaric would be pleased with the prince courting Jessa.

"I don't understand, what duties could interfere with you being with Prince Dhiren?" 

Jessa leans forward and whispers in Sorid's ear. "You are letting a possibility stop you from finding love?"

"If he could love me, even when I was doing my other duty, I would, but it wouldn't be fair to him, to force him. I can't do that, not to him, not to the elven people. I won't."

"Jessa, don't let unknown possibilities stop you from following your heart."

"I can't, should things go the course. I can't handle him hating me for breaking his heart. I can't handle him hating me and married to me. I can't. I won't string him along when it means I won't marry him. I have to let him go so that he can find someone else that can give him love and be the only one with him."

"Oh, Jessa," Sorid says heart breaking for her daughter. Pain this bad only comes when the emotions are deeply engaged. Jessa had already fallen for the prince.

"What do you know, Nathan, about all this?"

"I know that when I first met the prince that she lit up like a lamp and smiled brighter than anything. Then later she did her best to stay away from the prince and would hardly talk to any one. Not even her grandfather before we left. Then when we were close to Silva here, she and the prince went off to talk and then the prince returned but Jessa didn't. Kallen came and talked to the prince for a bit then took off to where Jessa had taken the prince.

"I didn't ask, I figured it was none of my business. But after that, Jessa told me that she was going to break off the courting.

"That's all I know," Nathan says nearly as distressed at seeing Jessa that way as Sorid is. "I know that the prince isn't happy about it."

Sorid's face softens at those words.

"I see, thank you, Nathan. I'm sorry that our first meeting is less than a happy one. I know that Jessa thinks very highly of you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Brightblade." Nathan gives her a small smile.

"None of that. A friend of Jessa's is welcome to call me, Sorid. Now, I would ask you to help me take her to her room. I'm afraid that she wore herself out crying."

"Of course, Sorid." Nathan goes over and picks up his friend. He follows Sorid up the stairs to Jessa's room. He gently sets her down and steps out of the room. He wonders how the prince is doing. He hopes that he is doing better than Jessa. He wonders just what the hell Alaric told Jessa that made her change her feelings toward the prince.

"Sorid, it was lovely meeting you, but unlike Jessa, I don't have a pass on guard duty. I was to stay for dinner, but I think under the circumstances I had better leave. If there is someone that could take me back? I don't wish to cause any problems and I will if I go on my own."

"That won't be necessary, Sorid, I'll take young Nathan myself." Kallen says coming into the room. "Where's Jessa?" Kallen asks as they leave.

"She cried herself to sleep once Sorid got home. Sorid asked me to take her to her room. I don't think that she will wake any time soon and it would be too awkward for us if I remained there."

"You are always welcome, Nathan. I know that the prince gave those orders to the border guard as well. They have all seen you and so you are free to come here. It would be preferred if you came with Jessa, but as long as you have a guide you will be allowed inside." Kallen tells the astounded young man.

"Thank you, Kallen, I don't know what to say."

Kallen gives a small smile, "This is the prince's and my way of saying thank you for taking care of Jessa. You don't need to say anything."

"How is the prince doing? I don't think I've ever seen Jessa so miserable, not even when she first came to Castlerock."

"Prince Dhiren knows how to hide his feelings quite well. There is no knowing just how he truly is. You will never see Jessa showing her feelings in public like she did for Sorid and you. She trusts you and feels safe with you or she wouldn't have shown herself vulnerable now."

"I would never willingly hurt her," Nathan says, the thought of hurting Jessa makes him sick.

"I know that, as does Sorid, the prince and most important of all, Jessa. She is an excellent judge of character. She spoke very highly of you to us and that is why you are given such unprecedented privileges here.

"Let her caravan master know that Jessa will be back in the morning. Very likely before first light, but that's not a given."

"I will, General Brightblade."

"Kallen, Nathan, call me Kallen." Nathan smiles and takes the hand that Kallen gives him to shake before heading out of the forest and to the caravan camped just outside of the forest.

Kallen just steps back into the shadows of the forest and watches the young human. "Oh, Jessa, you are causing yourself and the prince unnecessary heartbreak." With those words Kallen fades further into the shadows and returns home. The guards nod to him as he passes but then return to their watches. They don't like having the humans camped so close to Silva.