53

As Dhiren and Kallen both feared and hoped, they are met at the palace by the royal family and Sorid. Word has gone out that Jessa, with the help of just a double handful of others mostly inexperienced human fighters and a few elvish ones took down more than two hundred bandits that had congregated near their border. Most didn't believe the stories. 

What shocked them was seeing Jessa brought in unconscious and obviously wounded. Word had spread how she fought the Prince and won every time. 

Those that were there and saw the carnage of the fight relayed what they saw, but the people just couldn't believe it. Perhaps this wasn't the time, but the Prince sees it as an opportunity to show his people just how incredible Jessa is. 

He has them gathered and has his spellcasters that had viewed the scene recreate what happened from what the rangers had found.

The people stare entranced as Jessa dances her way around her enemies even as she shoots the archers. First on the side she came up, then shooting blindly just guessing the location of those over on the other side. 

As she does so those fighters that were stationed on the other side came over to fight the one that was killing them over on her side. 

Finally Jessa is forced to put her bow away and takes out her staff. Dancing among those that are going for her blood she disarms and strikes killing blow after killing blow and still the enemy comes.

They see the few elven spies come out to help their prince's chosen and are pleased to see them make a decent accounting of themselves, but there is no denying that it's Jessa that is the main focus and main dealer of death.

They watch as the humans are more or less mown down with the exception of one, Nathan. Watching him, Dhiren's heart hurts. He fought damn good, but it just wasn't enough, there were just too many of them.

And still, Jessa continued to fight even when she was alone in the fight.

The elves watched astonished at how long she fought and the amount she took down herself.

Finally, there was just Jessa and the one that finally brought her down.

They actually cry out once she is critically struck even as she gave the killing blow to her opponent.

"Jessa Brightblade is MY choice for a bride. She has proven herself worthy in more ways than one. She has stood with her head held high as she was mocked and bullied by our children and no few adults. She has a good heart, a kind one and compassionate. She is forgiving and loving and because of our actions towards her we missed that as she lived among us.

"But the best part is the forgiving part. Because of that she has forgiven me my blind hatred towards all humans and given me a chance to court her. She at one point broke it off so that her duties to her people wouldn't cause me, us, problems. Even though it was killing us both she was doing her best to save me pain and wanting to give the elven people the best possible princess and future queen.

"It wasn't until certain things were revealed to her that she realized that what she was protecting me and us from wouldn't be a problem and so allowed me to court her once more.

"I don't want to hear from any one, ever again any disparaging remarks towards Jessa. She refused to have me bring in the army to deal with the bandit problem because she didn't want to have any of us killed. She was looking out for us and I have no doubt that she will be angry that I had my spies join in the fight once she wakes up.

"We owe Jessa our lives and the lives of those that serve in the army. For those that fought and died, we are grateful and sorrowful at their loss. Jessa knows how much it hurts for General Brightblade to lose those under him. She knows how much it hurts myself and my parents. She was doing her best to make sure that we wouldn't have to.

"I just want you, those that are family and friends to the fallen, to know, they knew what they were getting into. They had reported the overwhelming numbers and each and every one of them was given the chance to stay back with me and the others. Each and every one of them all but ran back to the location of the fight and wanted to join in. They knew the risks, they knew it was unlikely they would return home, but they too wanted to take down those enemies so close to home.

"They have earned great honor among us, because of their help a few, a handful only of the humans actually have survived. Because of their actions your princess wasn't fully overcome and might still survive.

"To the family and friends of the fallen, I grieve at their loss with you, but I am also very grateful for their sacrifice." With that the Prince steps back and returns to Jessa's side.

There is absolute shocked silence as the fight scene ends.

Still, the greatest of Jessa's detractors doubt that what they saw truly happened and do their best to stir trouble up with the others. Most of the elves ignore them and turn their backs on their vituperative words.

"You should watch your words, Snodgrass, that human you are giving so much shit about will be our princess and you can and will be executed if you continue on like this." The worst of the offenders is told even as the one giving warning walks away from him.

"That human bitch will never become princess and queen over this people. I'll make sure of it." Snodgrass doesn't realize that there is yet one elf still within hearing range and he shakes his head sadly at the general's words before he too leaves the ranting general alone.

General Snodgrass will never learn and he is heading towards disgrace and likely death. He is so filled with hatred and bitterness that he can't see the direction of his words and actions are taking him