89

In Silva the two go to the king and queen. They call in Kallen and Sorid to let them know what the plans are. Kallen nods, "We had already set things up knowing you will need to take the trip with Jessa. The high elves will likely throw a fit that they weren't invited to the wedding although they wouldn't have come if they had been."

Jessa likes the idea of visiting the sun elves less and less. She's tired of dealing with arrogant fools that don't see what is right in front of them because they are so busy praising themselves for how wonderful they are.

"Jessa, why the sour face?" Sorid asks during a lull in talking.

"I am finding the thought of talking to the sun elves less than pleasing."

Dhiren snickers. He's avoided talking to them for near a century now and hasn't missed it a bit. "I don't blame you. My cousins are a nasty bunch that's for sure.

"So when are you planning on holding the sparring tryouts for Jessa's guards?" The king asks in the silence.

"What?" Jessa asks startled at his words.

"You are the crown princess now, Jessa. You shouldn't be outside of Silva without your own elite guard. You were hired as a guard when you left, but now, you are the Princess. You will need to start acting like it, and stop acting like a guard." The queen said softly answering Jessa's question.

"I am better qualified at protecting myself than anyone else is qualified to protect me." Jessa tries to protest the need.

"As am I. It is part of the joys of being the crown prince and princess. I thought you would have realized that." Dhiren says holding her. "Otherwise I would have said something earlier."

He turns to his parents, "We'll hold try outs tomorrow, but not here. We'll be holding them where the humans are camped. Let them get to watch."

Jessa smirks, "I'll open it to them as well. If there are any that want to participate for the honor of guarding me." Jessa rolls her eyes at that last bit. It is doubtful that any of them would be able to protect her before she dealt with the issue herself.

"Oh, that reminds me, Dhiren will be needing to have two more join his guard as well so they can tryout at the same time." Jessa says smiling brightly, but falsely.

Kallen looks at Dhiren sharply, "Prince has there been a problem?"

Dhiren looks at Jessa in confusion. She sighs and rolls her eyes once again. "We've decided to take one of the guards each as servants so that they can spy using the servant gossip and what not. Sorsha gave me her answer that she will come with us as my ladies maid."

"I've requested Kristoff to take that role." Dhiren says and the others stare at Jessa.

"You are alright with that, short stuff?" Kallen says so shocked that he calls her by his old nick name for her.

Jessa looks at them all in confusion. "Why wouldn't I be? He's the best choice. He's worked hard to become the best and he's finally at the level I think he should be."

"Jessa, he was also your main bully while growing up." King Ureuk says also confused. He'd been told about the bullying and who was involved by Dhiren sometime ago. He knows that Dhiren was furious about it as well.

Again Jessa looks at him confused, "So? He and Sorsha both were huge bullies to me while growing up, but they are also the first ones to welcome me as their possible crown princess. They are also the best of the elite guards. They've worked hard to gain the skills that they have and I see no reason to deny either of them the honor." Jessa really doesn't understand why they are all shocked like they are.