92

"Healing won't work?" Dhiren asks desperately.

Alaric shakes his head sadly, "The blood has advanced too far at this point." Alaric looks up as the Ancient one comes over to look at Jessa.

"She will need to be turned if she is to have any chance of survival," a new voice says, grabbing everyone's attention.

"Lady Fay, how nice of you to drop in after the battle." Alaric says more than a little snidely and very distracted.

Lady Fay ignores the gold dragon king and keeps her attention on the dragon deity instead. 

The Ancient one sighs and nods after examining the wound. "Alaric you must start the spell. There must be no interruptions. Lady Zira, if you would have the elves take the humans into Silva and then form a guard facing outward. The fewer that know the truth the safer they will be if they survive the change."

"What's wrong with the princess?" Sorsha asks choking back her tears as she sees Dhiren holding Jessa's unconscious body to him tight.

"Dragon's blood entered her blood stream. Her only chance is to be turned to full blooded dragon. Have Dhiren's guards form a perimeter. Every one is to face outwards to keep watch for more enemies. Have the other elves take the surviving humans into Silva to receive medical help." Dhiren manages to tell his guard before turning his full attention onto Jessa once more.

Sorsha nods once and starts giving out orders. 

"Not my child, I ask that he be allowed to stay," Lady Fay says and holds Jasper to her side.

This grabs the attention of the others, even Dhiren briefly. "He too received a wound that had dragon blood enter it. Once Jessa is dealt with I would ask that a dragon heal him."

Alaric focuses on preparing for the spell but answers her more than a little distractedly. "He's unlikely to survive the pain. I am too old and too strong for a pure human to handle and the Ancient one is even less likely for him to survive."

"I would ask that Jessa, as a new born be the one to help him."

"If Jessa survives the turning she'll be too preoccupied with Dhiren to worry about any one else. There is a great deal of doubt that he'll survive the change."

This brings Dhiren's attention to Alaric. But then he nods and looks down at his love.

"Idiot, a good portion of surviving the change will be their belief that it's possible." Zira hisses angrily as she sees Dhiren's reaction to Alaric's words.

"Listen, this spell is long and complicated, Jessa doesn't have much time so I would appreciate it if you all would just shut the hell up." Alaric finally says needing to concentrate on his granddaughter.

Lady Fay bows her head and keeps her mouth shut at this time. Jessa living is more important at this time. Of course, Jessa being able to accomplish everything she needs to will be debatable if she doesn't have Jasper at her side.

"Lord Jethro, do you have a name ready to give her?" The Ancient one demands of the human deity.

Jethro nods, tears in his eyes. "Yes, I have had it ready for some time now."

"Be ready to bestow it on her once the spell is placed." He turns his attention to Dhiren.

"Hold her, no matter how painful it becomes hold her until you no longer can. Make sure that you tell her how much you love her and need her. You will be her anchor for staying alive. She will be holding to you desperately, don't let her go." Dhiren nods but never takes his eyes off his wife. He had already been telling her those things and so just continues to do so.

"Lady Zira, things will go very rapidly once Jessa makes the change, if she does. You will be allowed to mute his pain, but you must not in any way interfere with the change. It will be excruciatingly painful. You taking away part of that pain will be the difference of him making the turn or not. You will also need to have a power name chosen for him." 

The dragon deity looks over the other deities and his heart softens, "I know that this won't be easy for you. And Lady Fay, if Jessa makes the turn then I'm sure that she will do what she can for Jasper. She is very fond of him and had hopes of him being in her guard, I believe."

Lady Fay nods her head at his words, "Thank you, Ancient one."

"Everything is ready, Ancient one," Alaric says in the silence that had fallen after Lady Fay's words.

"Then let's begin," The Ancient one says.

Alaric starts the spell and the deity sends his power through his cleric to Jessa. Dhiren holds to her even as the power builds and makes it hard for him to breathe. He desperately continues to talk to her and holds her to him even as he feels her body growing and changing.

He watches with wide eyes as her armor expands to encompass her body even as it turns to the body of a baby dragon. Well not a baby, but a juvenile dragon.

Then the pain of the scales cutting his skin is felt. He holds back the screams even as he feels the blood flowing from the many cuts and abrasions that holding her has caused him.

There is some relief and he is able to breathe once more. He starts talking to Jessa once more, telling her of his love. While at the same time he projects his love to her.

He feels his voice go about the same time Jessa's body becomes too big for him to hold any longer. He grabs her leg and holds onto it. The thought of losing her, losing contact with her is too painful. Far more painful than the slicing he's going through at this time.

He faints from blood loss before he knows if Jessa made the turn or not.

Not even the fiery pain he feels flowing through his veins is enough to bring him back to consciousness.

Now all any of them can do is wait to see if they both survive the turning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This ends the first book of the Jessa Chronicles. I know that it was really shitty of me to leave it like it is, but I wanted to end it when she was at the palace with the prince. Many people were against me stopping there so I went to this point.

It will take me some time before I publish the second book. I'm lucky I was able to finish this. I'm still looking for housing for me and my daughter and my temporary housing ends Saturday. So basically I'll be couch surfing with my daughter until I'm able to find a place. I could really use any prayers you might have to any deity you might worship. Thanks for your patience and understanding. I will try to work on the second one as soon as possible.