46

Finally after a few more days of rest the three venture into the hiring grounds searching for a caravan for Jessa and Nathan. Dhiren is tagging along to just spend time with Jessa. Their time is short now and every minute is precious. 

Dhiren will be able to see the king later that day and so Jessa will know if she needs to deal with the bandits on her own or if the human king will deal with it, like he should. They are both aware that the likelihood of that happening is little to none.

They are standing there eating the sweet roll that Dhiren purchased and just talking to help them wake up when they are approached by a caravan master.

"Nathan, I am glad to see you available. I would like to hire you for my caravan back to Kyron. We'll leave in two days." The slightly snooty master tells Nathan, interrupting the three without apologies.

Nathan holds in his disdain for the master, but Jessa and Dhiren narrow their eyes at the man in dislike. Jessa shakes her head no. She won't go with this one even if he wanted her.

"Sorry, master Naglagot, I am only accepting offers that will accept my friend, Jessa as well." Nathan is well aware of Naglagot's dislike of the female guards. He thinks that they are useless and only cause trouble. An attitude widely held by many of the masters.

"I see, are you sure that I can't interest you in coming with me? I'll double your wages."

Nathan doesn't even think about it, "No, I'm sorry, but I already am promised to stay with her."

Naglagot sneers at the female guard, "Can she even wield the sword that she carries?" He intentionally snubs the elf that is at her side.

"She is the best fighter I've ever met. She's even better than the elven prince."

"Like that is hard to be. I'm sure that his abilities are just rumors and tall tales made to make humans avoid going into Silva."

Dhiren has a hard time holding his tongue at the insult to him and his people. "You shouldn't be so disparaging of those that you don't know. I know the elven prince and he's a better fighter than I've seen of any, bar none."

"Not true, Jessa, you are a much better fighter than he is." Dhiren interjects, which surprises the human that was so dismissive before. He's never heard of an elf willing to praise a human over another elf. Especially one of the leaders.

Naglagot sneers at the elf before him. "Whatever, I'm sure that I could best you in a fight."

Jessa can't hold back her peals of laughter at the words the arrogant human just uttered. Dhiren merely smiles before he calmly states, "How about you put your money where your mouth is? I challenge you to a match, first one to cry out loses. The loser will admit that the other is a superior fighter."

Naglagot is considered a decent fighter by those that know him. Indeed it is the only reason why Nathan would have considered hiring on with him if he wasn't already employed.

Naglagot is more than satisfied to accept the challenge and the two move over to the area set aside for sparring. Occasionally the masters wish to watch possible hirees to spar first to see how well they are able to handle their weapon.

It takes just minutes for Dhiren to disarm and place his swords in a cross over Naglagots throat just needing the slightest pressure from Dhiren to cut the man's throat completely. Naglagot holds still and cries out ending the match. He unwillingly admits that he was wrong. He'd never been against such a fighter.

"What is your name, elf?" Naglagot demands of Dhiren.

The guard had silently melted out of the crowd and angered at the disrespect shown their prince come towards the human with weapons drawn. "That is Prince Dhiren, prince of the moon elves of Silva." Jessa is more than willing to answer the ass's question.