54

Dhiren goes back to Jessa and takes her hand into his. "You should have seen it, love. Your mother went head to head with Jenna about where and who would take care of you. I finally had to step in and tell Sorid that you would be staying here.

"Sorid sure didn't like that and didn't Jenna just smirk at that. She wasn't smirking when I told her that since she is needed in the care of the humans that have survived so far that Sorid would be taking care of you for the majority of the time.

"I think that saved my life, Jessa. I think if I had tried to tell Sorid that she couldn't care for you that she would have come after me herself."

"I couldn't kill you, Prince, that would in turn kill Jessa. I might have done you some bodily harm though. But it's much more likely that I would have called down a curse on you from Zira."

Dhiren shivers at her words. He has no doubt that Sorid would have done just that too.

"Sorid, I know that you love Jessa unconditionally, but I'm going to put conditions on you taking care of her." Dhiren prepares himself for her lambasting him.

"You will get sufficient sleep each day. During those breaks either Jenna or one of the other top healers will keep a close eye on her. I will not allow you to put your health and the health of  your unborn children at risk for Jessa. Not when it isn't necessary to do so. You and Kallen have waited far too long for this blessing to lose it now. It's why Jessa warned you ahead of time that she would be going against great odds and might not make it. She wanted to prepare you so that you wouldn't lose the babies.

"She would not be happy if you lost them because you were taking care of her. She would be guilt ridden and that would hamper if not reverse her healing. That does no one any good. If I have to ban you from the palace to make sure that you get the sleep and food you need I will do so. If I have to ban you from seeing Jessa I will do so. Please, Sorid, don't make me take those precautions. Jessa needs you as much as she'll need Kallen."

At first Sorid bridles at the prince's words but as he speaks she realizes that he is right. Jessa had asked this boon for her and Jessa would be very guilt ridden if she lost the children because of Sorid taking care of her.

Sorid bows her head, "Yes, Prince Dhiren."

"I'm not saying this to hurt you, Sorid."

"I realize that Prince Dhiren. You are protecting Jessa. She has told me more than once that she wants Kallen and I to have children that we can be proud of and won't be taken from us." Dhiren winces at those words. Sorid wipes her eyes. "She never understood how we could love her and be so proud of her when so many turned against us because of her. She felt their defection keenly on our behalf. Far more keenly than Kallen or I have ever felt it."

Sorid goes to Jessa's side and gently caresses her face as she looks at her with love. There is so much love there that it makes Dhiren's eyes tear up. "She never once understood that I used her as a test. There are so many fake people out there, I was sick and fed up with those that I couldn't trust. I knew that only those that were truly our friends would stay by us as we raised Jessa. Kallen and I both tried our best to make her understand that, but all she saw was the isolation we were put through because of her.

"To tell you the truth, it was a relief. Having to smile and pretend to be having fun at parties you would rather not attend is quite wearing after awhile. Once we took in Jessa the invitations to the parties stopped. I was finally free to stay home with my wonderful husband and my incredible new daughter.

"I never missed those parties. I never missed those that just wanted to be around me for my station. I sure as hell didn't mind not being around those female vipers that tried to get Kallen to sleep with them."

Dhiren gives an oath at her last words. "Who did that?" Dhiren demands. Once a couple is married the two are not to be messed with and don't take lovers. It is rare for a married couple to do so.

"Oh, don't worry about it, Prince. Kallen put the fear of me in them and then told me about it and I put the fear of Zira in them. Then Zira made sure that they never made that mistake ever again." There is no little smugness in Sorid's voice at that.

"There isn't a single day that I've regretted bringing Jessa into our home. There isn't a single day that I haven't been proud of this incredible girl." Sorid looks up to Dhiren with tears in her eyes, "I love her, Prince, so much. Thank you for bringing her home once again."

Dhiren fights the tears in his own eyes. "It must have been hell for you when I sent her away. I wish there had been another way, that I didn't have to do that."

"It was inevitable, Prince. She couldn't stay here, not safely until you make it so. Even now, I have a protection spell around her and Zira herself is watching over her. Even after that fancy showing off just what my daughter can do, there are still those that wish her harm. You haven't yet cut out the cancer of hate among the elves and until you do, Jessa is still at risk being here for any length of time."

"Prince, your father is requesting your presence," Kallen says coming in to check on his wife and child.

Dhiren nods once and leaves the room after he sees his strong and impassive general break down in tears at the sight of Jessa lying so still and death like on the large bed.

The very same bed that just weeks before had them consummating their love.

Dhiren leaves before the tears are able to break through, but it's a hard won fight against himself and he is barely able to hold in his anger and pain. It isn't the best time for his father to summon him. But then again, until Jessa is better, he doubts that any time will be a good time.