Chapter 35 - Tell Me That I'm Not Crazy

I'd drive through the night
Just to be near you baby
Heart open, testify
Tell me that I'm not crazy

I'm not asking for a lot
Just that you're honest with me
My pride is all I got
I'm saying baby

Shawn answered the call from the guard at the gate.

"Hey man, I just wanted to let you know, your wife is here, and she's on her way to your trailer."  He had just ordered food and was waiting for it to be delivered.  What the fuck was Camila doing here?  He had spoken to her this morning and she hadn't mentioned anything about coming!  How was he going to explain all this?  He looked around the trailer in dismay.

They had been on location for three weeks now, and he hated it.  They were in the middle of nowhere and the work was hard and dusty and strenuous.  He was aching all over and had bruises in places he didn't know you could get bruises.  He missed home, his family and he missed music.  Maybe acting was not for him.  On the second night he had been wallowing in self pity when Poppy had asked him to join her for dinner.  He really liked her, she was nice, friendly and pretty.  They had good chemistry and it made their romance believable. And she really liked computer games.  They would eat in his trailer and then play games and it made life a little more bearable.

The longer he was away from Camila and the babies, the more removed he felt from them.  She would tell him about them on their FaceTime calls, and he almost got annoyed with it.  It didn't occur to him that it was because he missed them, and wanted to be home.  He knew it now, but then, not so much.  After one such phone call, Poppy had turned up to play games and had offered a shoulder to cry on.  Somewhere in his wallowing she had tried to kiss him.  He had leapt back in shock.

"Poppy, I really like you, you're a beautiful, nice girl, and lots of fun to hang with, but I'm very happily married with two children.  I'm sorry, but I'm really not interested."

She looked disappointed and a little pouty, which he didn't find attractive.  When Camila did it, he found it cute and sassy. But Poppy was no Camila Cabello.  She had been cold and distant with him after that but then she had started seeing one of the stunt guys and they seemed to be pretty heavy, he slept most nights in her trailer.  So Shawn was alone again, but this time he didn't care.  He'd been writing music, and it was helping.  He had missed music.  In his obsession with the music, the trailer had become a mess.  He had pieces of paper everywhere, it was not like him to be so messy. Camila was going to freak out.  He quickly gathered up what trash he could and took the full bag outside to dispose of it and on the way back he saw her, standing outside Poppy's trailer. He frowned, wondering what she was doing, and then she turned and literally banged into him, and that was when he realised she was crying.

"Hey!" he said, steadying her by the shoulders.  "Where are you off to in such a hurry pretty lady?"

She looked up at him in shock, her mouth hanging open. "SHAWN?"

"That would be me, I might be the person you came to see so I don't understand why you're so surprised to see me!"

"I thought....." she looked over her shoulder at Poppy's trailer.  

"That's Poppy's trailer," he said, confused. "Mine is that one opposite."

She went red in the face and at the same time seemed to almost collapse with what seemed to be relief.

"What are you doing here honey? Not that I'm not happy, but where are the kids?" She stood stil, unmoving. "Come on let's get inside and we can catch up."

He dragged her inside and as he was about to close the door, the crew member arrived with his food.  Luckily he had been hungry when he ordered, there was enough for two.